Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre for Stacking Tracks

Pre for Stacking Tracks

I own a very, very small studio, and, as of now, I don't have any high end pres. Some mid-end (Summit 2BA-221, GT Brick, RNP) but no high end. In the coming months I will be able to save up for one channel of high end pre that will probably have to last me for a year or two (like I said, my studio is very small, and its revenues do not justify me spending more money than that for a while). So, I guess my question is this:

Which pre is best for stacking tracks? If I make an entire record primarily with one pre, which pre should it be? API? Neve clone? Hardy? Something else? My budget is around a grand.
    Coming In Second Records
    "Fighting Sleep Since 1997"
    http://www.cominginsecond.com

Hello,
    How good are your AD converters?
    Perry
    I don't know what I'm doing!

Budget. I've got an EMU 1820.
    Coming In Second Records

As awesome as the API and Neve sounds are, they might be a bit colored for every track. the Hardy, on the other hand, would be a good choice. You'll probably have to work pretty hard to find a source that can't sound great through it. Very clean, without losing the personality.

Shane
    Shane Bushman - 3D-VIP
    Treehouse Productions
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Well when the Great River MP-2NV [and single channel ME-1NV] were conceived that was a major part of the design criteria... that the unit could be used for like 20+ tracks without developing a "signature haze" that made the product harder to mix than was absolutely necessary.

I'm very biased, but I think the nail was struck squarely on the head with that one... but as always... YMMV
    Fletcher
    Mercenary Audio

Roscoe Ambel once said:
    Pro-Tools is to audio what fluorescent is to light

I would recommend an Avalon 737. Great unit on a wide variety of sources, and - it makes a great bass DI to boot. With the 737 you can get everything from clean/clear to slightly colored depending on gain settings, EQ, and comp settings.

I'd definitely recommend you purchase a "channel strip" over a pre though; to give yourself maximum flexibility in making differing sources "sound" as if tracked on another pre.

Thanks a lot for your responses. This has given me a lot to think about.
    Coming In Second Records

Originally posted by wf studios:
    [QB]I would recommend an Avalon 737.
    I'd recommend you think about retooling your recommendation... nobody has been able to get in contact with Avalon in quite a while.

Last I spoke to Wynn, they were moving, over a million dollars worth of orders backordered, and had no idea when the move or the backlog would be complete... so if you see one, I reckon you should scoop it up because they're on their way to becoming "vintage"
    Fletcher
    Mercenary Audio

Roscoe Ambel once said:
    Pro-Tools is to audio what fluorescent is to light

Originally posted by Fletcher:
    <STRONG>

I'd recommend you think about retooling your recommendation... nobody has been able to get in contact with Avalon in quite a while.

Last I spoke to Wynn, they were moving, over a million dollars worth of orders backordered, and had no idea when the move or the backlog would be complete... so if you see one, I reckon you should scoop it up because they're on their way to becoming "vintage"</STRONG>
    Fletcher,

Is this first hand info? Have you personally tried getting in touch with Avalon? Are you an Avalon dealer?

Just want to make sure we're not spreading rumors.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

The "stacking tracks" thing is just one of the silliest things that now concern the uninformed buyer, probably because some dealer somewhere got the whole thing started to sell multiple mic pres.

Use your head. Listen to most of the music released over the last few decades, before owning multiple mic pres became the rage.

Do you hear some kind of glaring weakness with the audio quality of all these hit records? I didn't think so. And they were made in studios with microphones thru CONSOLES. They didn't use a rack of mic pres, one pre for guitar, one for vocals, one for digeridoo. The same pre was being used on stacks of tracks. If something sounded a little dark....guess what they did....yep, same thing we do now. They EQ'd it. Worked at Abbey Road, works at your house.

I honestly think this dreaded "STACKING PROBLEM" is wonderful for audio dealers and new developers of mic pres, but the real world benefits are pretty lame. Lot's of better places to put money.

JMHO.

TH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast