Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SM57 or Beta57?

SM57 or Beta57?

Just curious on some opinions/comparisons of these two mics. I have a few of the SM57's, but was curious if I should get a couple of the Beta57's (I've never heard one). My intended uses would be rack toms, snare, and guitar cabs.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

An engineer told me the beta57's are what the old 57's used to sound like. Somewhere along the line, materials or workmanship got cheapened to keep the plain 57's cheap I guess. Just a rumor of course.

[ July 19, 2004: Message edited by: grekim ]

Get the Beta's. Technology has made these mic's of the 70's a bit better. Hotter mic's, better grill. This is what Shure told me by the way.

Originally posted by Revelation:
    <STRONG>Get the Beta's. Technology has made these mic's of the 70's a bit better. Hotter mic's, better grill. This is what Shure told me by the way.</STRONG>
    I was working for a Shure endorsed artist when they brought this line out. The Beta57 is NOT a replacement for the 57. It sounds nothing like a 57. All of the Beta mics do have a hotter output and tighter off-axis response for use in the live sound field. The Beta was Shure's response to the ElectroVoice N/Dym line. The Beta's do have better grills. The B57's can now be legitimately used for vocals without having to eat the mic.

For live and recorded concert sound I have used a 57 on top and a Beta57 on bottom of a snare. I would say try it. But to use a Beta57 on guitar cabs? Yuk. It just isn't done. For toms they have the 56, which is the same element in a lower-profile body, with a slightly different sound.

As far as build quality goes, they both will hold up well to years of abuse. If you buy a 57 or a 58 (exact same mic with a different pop screen/filter) and it dies, just send it to Shure with about $27 bucks or so, and you will get a brand new mic. The mics cost $7 to manufacture down in Mexico, so it is cheaper to replace them than to pay a tech bench staff.

I agree, the 57 beta didn't sound as good to me on guitar cabs as the regular 57 did.

Though I'm sure on some sort of amp or cab it would be fine. I find that it has an extended or more present high end to it than the normal 57's do. My 57's and Beta 57 are all fairly new as well. I don't have any old 57's to compare them to.

Brian

Well, I don't mean to be floundering here, but I guess my immediate need is for some decent, low-priced tom mics. I was looking at some additional SM57's, or something compariable in price that may offer much better performance. I would like to use a dynamic, though.

Some of my thoughts...
    - ATM25 (Audio Technica)*
    - E609 (Sennheiser)
    - E604 (Sennheiser)
    - SM-57
    - Beta57
    - N/D478 (EV)
    - Audix D series?

*I have the ATM35 condensor mics, but they lack the lush bottom end that I like in toms.

Further thoughts???

Thanks,
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

I've used 2 beta 56's for the rack toms, and a 421 for the floor tom for several years now and can't complain. As I mentioned in another post, I really prefer going with stereo omnis on overheads and ditching the tom mics altogether. But, that freaks out a lot of drummers/producers. Or if I don't mic the hi-hat. God forbid. I think "girlie men" drummers need all those mics. If you hit the drum with a little passion, 3 or 4 mics is all ya need IMHO.

[ July 20, 2004: Message edited by: grekim ]

I have the Audix stuff and they work well on toms.

Try the Shure Beta 56. They rock!

Audix D2 on toms will do the job nicely at a very reasonable price.
    Kurt Thompson
    Vibrational Arts, Inc.
    Sonic Sorcery Studios
    Austin, Texas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast