Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Character of the Elux251

I was considering ribbons for a while, but thinking they're a little more specialized for whatever reason.

I haven't yet heard the mic or pre cd. I should just break down and spring for them. I keep saying that.

What about the 610 don't you like? I haven't yet come across a less than enthusiastic review/opinion about it.

JPM

Another option - the Soundelux E250. Supposed to be Elux 251'esque with less top end. Cheaper price tag too.

Thanks to all who have offered advice. I really appreciate it. As I said before, I think it's time I pick up the mic/pre cds. The more I listen to various records the more I get confused as to what would sound good on my voice.

On one hand I think I need to beef up my voice and smooth it out. Then I listen to recording of a singer with a similar voice who's vocal chain sounds too creamy, too tubey, and thus lacks clarity and articulation, cut through power etc. But then I'll listen to a record of someone who has a thinner mid rangy voice that sounds like they used the cleanest combo on the planet and it hurts my ears.

One of my current favorites is Grant Lee Phillips' "Virginia Creeper". Amazing album and I love the sonics, especially the vocal. Buttery bass, clear but not edgy mids, and airy top. What I suspect is that his voice is naturally airy with a mid range grit that when coupled with a dark mic sounds great. I imagine that an airy mic and pre on someone like me who has an airy voice might be too much air (which I've heard before on records and it gets annoying - it's like, o.k. let me pass out already).

So...argg. It's frustrating. One dealer agreed to let me send him some tunes of my own as well as clips of recordings I like and then make a recommendation from there. This might be my best course of action - but then i'm going off of one person's opinion.

Neutral is sounding better and better to me the further I get into all of this.

JPM

Originally posted by TomM:
    <STRONG>If you can, try the E47 or E49 soundelux mic. That seems like it might be more for you. Although i've never heard them.

To me, the U87Ai is a bit boomy when singing close for proximity effect. The elux has a very crisp clear high end, with a full low end without boom when close to the mic. I think it is a better vocal mic, but at the same time, I don't think it beefs up the vocals as much as the U87Ai when singing within an inch or so from the mic. But I think that's what helps the elux help vocals get above the mix because the boomy-ness of the proximity effect on the U87Ai doesn't let the vocal stand out so well over the rest of the music. I've gotten great results with the U87Ai though (with a good tube pre favored), but it varied depending on the singer...and the singer I got best results had a very powerful, but slightly shrill male voice when hitting the high notes.

Whatever you get though is probably gonna be a huge leap over what you have. What kind of preamp are you using?</STRONG>
    Well....

U87s have been putting vocals over the music for a long time.....they take EQ great, and that "in your face" proximity effect sounds great with the right track. Very easy to roll off a bit if it's not the right track....

well its good you're taking your time. Nothing new to add but I would strongly suspect the elux251 is NOT the mic for you. I work with a singer who is quiet and wispy and we just hated how she sounded on the 251... it had a very particular sound which works for some and not for others - veering towards brash rather than intimate. On the e47 she sound simply magnificent, with no sibilance at all... the e47 has a unique way of defining and rolling of the top end - detailed but without hardness - ans somehow, it is NOT dull. Check lynn's CDs, listen to some mics (the only way to find out really). it took me 18 months and a lot of mics to find the right one for the singer I work with a lot and whose voice I love. It was worth it and I never regretted spending this time/money on it.

I like the at4060 too but frankly its not in the same league

Richard

I really appreciate all the input and advice. I made an offer which was justifiably rejected. I'm glad, because a dealer that I've worked with in the past just got a used E47 in. It sounds as though it's hard to go wrong with this mic. We'll see...

thanks

JPM

JPM, if you're looking at the UA 2-610 or M610 - I would advise strongly against it as your only preamp. I have many pres and that one gets the least use. It's a good pre, but far from an all-rounder 'sounds good on everything'

If you do get a 610, also get an in line attenuator for loud sources, because there's limited headroom and no pad.

A great all rounder would be something like the Manley Dual Mono (or perhaps TNT when it comes out)

If you could plump for a couple more channels I could cover pretty much every situation imaginable with a Milennia HV3D (or the two channel 3B) and a Chandler TG2

There are some other excellent choices around but I know how these ones react as I work with them every day.

Jason

Thanks Jason. Yeah, I've had others advise me away from the UA for my purposes, so thanks for confirming even further that decision. My latest thinking is something like the cranesong flamingo that has a variety of sound possibilities. Cheaper would be two channels of API 512c which I've heard on vocals and also really like.

JPM

Originally posted by stakeoutstudios:
    <STRONG>JPM, if you're looking at the UA 2-610 or M610 - I would advise strongly against it as your only preamp. I have many pres and that one gets the least use. It's a good pre, but far from an all-rounder 'sounds good on everything'

If you do get a 610, also get an in line attenuator for loud sources, because there's limited headroom and no pad.

A great all rounder would be something like the Manley Dual Mono (or perhaps TNT when it comes out)

If you could plump for a couple more channels I could cover pretty much every situation imaginable with a Milennia HV3D (or the two channel 3B) and a Chandler TG2

There are some other excellent choices around but I know how these ones react as I work with them every day.

Jason</STRONG>

I have an Elux 251. Personally I love it but my voice is different to the voice you describe. A lot of people point out the exentuated high end of this mic and I suspect this is more to do with looking at the freq response graph than actually using it.

I have a tenor voice which usually sounds a bit thin (though not wispy). The 251 is the only mic I have tried which allows me to get close enough to it to fill out my voice with proximity effect without sounding boomy.

I bought two mics on the strength of Lynn's mic CD - the 251 and an SM57. Seriously. If anyone considerdering this mic is in London UK you're welcome to come over and try it out - steve@clara.net

steve

Originally posted by Steve Rawlinson:
    <STRONG>I have an Elux 251. Personally I love it but my voice is different to the voice you describe. A lot of people point out the exentuated high end of this mic and I suspect this is more to do with looking at the freq response graph than actually using it.

Seriously. If anyone considerdering this mic is in London UK you're welcome to come over and try it out - steve@clara.net

steve</STRONG>
    Steve,

The accentuated high end was primarily the reason I turned away from this mic. It sounds like you're saying the specs don't necessarily reflect the sound of this mic. I'd be interested in hearing more thoughts on this. What genres and instrumentation does it seem to work well on a vocal with? Does it ever sound "bright" to you. Can you eq any HF excess out of it nicely? How has it fared with other various voices?

JPM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast