Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vocal Microphone Invitational - Be There!

Vocal Microphone Invitational - Be There!

Guys and Gals,

I'm helping to plan an event that will take place the day before summer NAMM on July 17, 2003. It will be at OceanWay, Nashville and if you are within driving distance, you shouldn't miss this one. It promises to be very informative and entertaining. I'll be there. You should be too.

This came in the mail from ProSound News today. I'll post more as we finalize the details.

Don't miss the Vocal Microphone Invitational!
    July 17, 2003 OceanWay-Nashville A Special One-Day Only Hands-on Microphone Event!
    Featuring the World's Top Microphone Manufacturers!
    Free admission-audio engineers, students and NAMM attendees are invited to attend!
    Featuring: in-depth presentations, live vocal demonstrations and miking tips from top engineers.

Click Here More More Information
    Vocal Mic Event

[ May 21, 2003: Message edited by: 3D Audio Inc. ]
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

I was talking to the guys from PSN last week at the AES golf tournamnt and for some reason I thought they said this was for AES members only. I'm glad to see that it's open to the public.

I guess this means I need to get there a lot earlier to get a seat. OceanWay is big but I think it will fill up fast.
    Chris Thom
    www.ChrisThom.net
    www.myspace.com/IMChrisThom

"Earth’s crammed with heaven,
    And every common bush afire with God;
    And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
    The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries."
    ~ Elizabeth Barrett Browning

"Time flies like the wind.
    Fruit Flies like bananas."
    ~ Groucho Marx

You definitely shouldn't miss this. I love looking at mics as much as anyone, but you don't want to miss the panel discussion at the end. A great way to get tips from leading professionals. I don't know who is lined up for it yet, but the names that are being kicked around are pretty impressive.

I'll keep you posted.

And it is for everyone. So "come on down...."
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

The old church down from kk's place? I'll be coming in. Can I reserve a space or is it going to be a first-come-first-served crush?

Bill

Originally posted by 3D Audio Inc.:
    <STRONG>You definitely shouldn't miss this. I love looking at mics as much as anyone, but you don't want to miss the panel discussion at the end. A great way to get tips from leading professionals. I don't know who is lined up for it yet, but the names that are being kicked around are pretty impressive.

I'll keep you posted.

And it is for everyone. So "come on down...."</STRONG>

Originally posted by Bill Park:
    <STRONG>The old church down from kk's place? I'll be coming in. Can I reserve a space or is it going to be a first-come-first-served crush?
    </STRONG>

It's a "whoever gets there first gets the best seat:" event. And no one will be turned away. It's a big facility, but it may be standing room only. But it will be worth standing for. Or just show up early.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Any chance someone might be taking (and posting) minutes, so that us Johnny Foreigners get the full skinny?
    Jules Bromley (3D VIP)
    JBMS Trailermen
    http://www.trailermen.com

Originally posted by Jules Bromley:
    <STRONG>Any chance someone might be taking (and posting) minutes, so that us Johnny Foreigners get the full skinny?</STRONG>
    I had mentioned videotaping the event, but it hasn't gone any further. We haven't finalized panelists yet, but there will be plenty of good information presented I know. I'll check into it and see what I can find out.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Thanks Lynn - still enjoying the Mic CD in the meantime!
    Jules Bromley (3D VIP)
    JBMS Trailermen
    http://www.trailermen.com

If you're coming, get there early. I've heard some estimates on attendance and I can almost guarantee you'll be standing if you don't. I'll see you there.

AES Nashville and Pro Sound News Team Up for Audio Event

Vocal Microphone Invitational
    VMI Panelist Line-up Announced
    The Vocal Microphone Invitational is almost upon us! In addition to manufacturers AKG, Audio Technica, DPA Microphones, Neumann, Shure and Studio Projects, who will give presentations throughout the day, the lineup has been announced for the all star engineering panel discussion. At 4:30 PM, over 150 years of engineering experience will share the stage, offering tips and insights in to vocal microphone selection and use.

Sign up to register FREE and receive information on the Vocal Microphone Invitational July 17, 2003, 11am-6pm at Belmont University's Ocean Way Studios in Nashville.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

The human voice is an instrument of amazing versatility and variation. Capturing the essence of a particular voice is a blend of both art and science. Pro Sound News, in conjunction with AES Nashville, will present a special one day event exploring the tech-nology and technique of vocal miking. Participating microphone manufacturers will be given the opportunity to demonstrate various models of mics from their line with live vocalists, along with static display areas. A star studded engineer panel will cap the event with a discussion of vocal microphone techniques in an interactive session.

The Location: Oceanway Nashville in the heart of Music Row
    The Date: Thursday July 17, 2003

Sponsored By:

The Agenda:
    11:00 AM

Doors Open

11:30 AM - 12:00 PM

AKG Acoustics

12:20-12:50 PM

Shure

1:10-1:40 PM

Neumann

2:00-2:30 PM

Studio Projects

2:50-3:10 PM

DPA Microphones

3:30-4:00 PM

Audio-Technica

4:30-6:00

Panel discussion

The Attendees: Open and free attendance for the greater Nashville engineering community, to include the local recording schools. NAMM attendees are also welcome, including dealers and sales reps wanting valuable insight into microphone marketing.

The Logistics: The event will take place on the main tracking floor of Oceanway Nashville. Two isolation rooms will be alternately set up with the live presentations. Manufacturers will demonstrate microphones with male and female vocalists on hand to sing into the mics for demo, while a manufacturer's representative will discuss features and characteristics. Each manufacturer will have a display station around the perimeter of the studio. At the end of the day, a panel discussion will be staged with top professional engineers discussing their vocal miking techniques.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Sounds terrific. Wish I could be there to hear the debates/comparisons and demos.

I was so very happy to see that the Studio Projects company is on the agenda. Thus they've cast their lot right along with the big guys.

I've owned/used a range of Neumann and DPA [B&K]microphones. However, the Studio Projects C1 is also a wonderful mic, for so many applications (including vocals, cymbal overheads, vibes, saxophone!) with a value/performance ratio that is so high as not to be believed! (I know nothing about their other models.)

To me the very very best values in the past few years have been the SP C1, and the compressor known as the RNP.

The detractors of the SP C1 say that it is not built to last, and that the production run qualities are uneven. I don't know. I just know the ones I have are refined. One unfortunately hit a wooden floor at full force, but continues to operate as if nada had happened!

Regards,
    Mark
    http://www.thejazzmall.com
    Mark Kramer
    www.thejazzmall.com

formula to live by

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast