Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any pointers on Tambourine recording?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martin View Post
    You know, you should also check out a number of different tambourines....

That is a good suggestion as different tambourines give different sounds and can add different textures to different songs. Did I say different enough times?

I did a track with my own band where we used a plastic and steel tambourine panned left, while an old wood and brass tambourine was panned right (or vice versa as I can't remember). It sounded pretty cool with both at once.

Check out the tune All I'm Worth on my band's MySpace page and that will give you an idea of the two tambos going at once.

http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

For mics, I usually use what was up for vocals. Maybe an LDC in omni or and LDC with a room mic for ambience.
    Last edited by Colin Gaucher; 05-24-2007 at 05:49 PM.

I once recorded a tambourine with an open mic across the room instead of the close mic I thought I'd been using.

It was one of the best tambourine recordings I'd ever gotten :eeps:

Ed

Default TambTips

As others have stated, back up from the mic. A lot.

Turn it down. Way down. Don't trust meters on tamb. Peak it 20db below full scale, sometimes more. If you are using VU meters, they should just move off resting on the loudest notes.

I tend to prefer ribbons and dynamics more than condensers, but it's not a hard and fast rule. If using a condenser and the sound is "harsh", try the mic's pad.

If you aren't several feet away with the mic, put a Stedman screen in front of it. There are actually some pretty decent wind currents in front of a tamb player going at it, in particular with a headed tamb which is basically a fan! Even if you are a few feet back, the Stedman softens the sound a touch.

Double track the tamb parts if they are just supplimenting the groove and pan then hard left and right. This will allow you to use less overall tamb in the mix, but still hear it and add a nice color. Also, consider using a shaker on one side and a tamb on the other.

It always seemed funny to me to suggest that player was really critical with stuff like shakers and tamb, but it really does make an incredible difference.
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

Glad I' not the only one !
    I still have not mastered the Tam, but have gotten a few good tracks lately.
    -jp
    I need more cowbell!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123