Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any pointers on Tambourine recording?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Julian View Post
    Hi Lee,

I've just read about romancing the tambourine. I've been married for 17 years, faithfully, and now here is an exhortation to begin flirting, no, becoming romantically entangled with a percussion instrument.
    It's funny that this is mentioned. I've not yet read the Onion article, but after seeing the thread title my first thought was

"Don't watch the tambourine player."

This is based on a recording I did years ago with absolutely the most provocative tambourine player I've ever seen. Seriously, in a live performance where she was playing, you couldn't keep your eyes off of her, regardless of who the artist was.

On playback, after we had told her to come on in, it was very clear that the visual stimulus had a far greater impact on our interpretation of right/wrong than our ears. We did all the repairs with our eyes closed.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    ...Seriously, in a live performance where she was playing, you couldn't keep your eyes off of her, regardless of who the artist was...
    I had the same experience watching Valerie Naranjo on Saturday Night Live last week. Even though she is way in the back you could look at nobody else.

Even her muting the tambourine during the breaks was riveting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	val-SNL.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	553  

They sound great to me when the bells have rusted, it's a darker sound that blends better.

As a previous poster suggested, micing fron above is a good idea, sit under the drum overheads for instance, that way the mic doesn't favour theforward accents, it records the rhythm evenly.

IMHO, if you're not recording analog, you need a ribbon on a tambo to keep your ears from bleeding later in the mix

Coles or RCA ribbons wrok for me, and I agree with previous posters about trying alot of different tambos to see which one fits the best in a prticular track. And rusty bells do sound nice!
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

hmmm a goood player in a good sounding room...2 well placed mics..one "close" (But too close as others has pointet out) and the 2nd mic for room/amb to add "dept" and "wideness" to the sound if needed *S'

Kind regards

Peter
    Tubes! Making people sucessful in a changing world!

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field

"If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you've measured the wrong thing."

Although not much to look at...The Subdudes have a tambourine player in the ranks of say....a Hendrix on the guitar. It's very central their sound. The tech rider comes with some really specific requirements as far as mic choices and Monitor/FOH handling. He plays it more like a drum than the shaking/thumping on the leg method. It's larger than the Laurie Partridge type. We used a RE-20 behind for the bass drum tones he was looking for and a Royer 121 on the "snare", jingle side. He got what he wanted by moving it a little from time to time. Pretty neat. Try a good ribbon and a tube pre.....
    Dennis Jones
    Technical Director
    WNCW-FM www.wncw.org
    3D Audio V.I.P.

I've been very pleased recording tambourine with an R-84, usually about 2 ft
    from the mic. I also made a nifty mini tamb from one of those rhythm tech
    tambs that have 2 concentric "D" shaped plastic rims with jangles-I hacked out the small inner one with a saber saw. It is the coolest thing for light playing-it's just the handle and 3 sets of jangles. Great to hold at 45 degrees and just tap the rim, for acoustic tracks etc. Small and tight sounding.

This may be a little off topic - but if you are using a middle eastern tambourine (riq) or a tambourine with a skin - the Josephson E22s mics were better than my AEA R84s for detail while still providing a warm sound.

Also, with these kind of tambourines, the angle of holding the tambourine has a lot to do with the type of jingle sound (crisp and tight versus loose).
    3daudio VIP

HG is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

I wonder what George Martin used? Probably a C12 into the emi console. When I think Tambourine, I think Beatles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Jones View Post
    Although not much to look at...The Subdudes have a tambourine player in the ranks of say....a Hendrix on the guitar. It's very central their sound. The tech rider comes with some really specific requirements as far as mic choices and Monitor/FOH handling. He plays it more like a drum than the shaking/thumping on the leg method. It's larger than the Laurie Partridge type. We used a RE-20 behind for the bass drum tones he was looking for and a Royer 121 on the "snare", jingle side. He got what he wanted by moving it a little from time to time. Pretty neat. Try a good ribbon and a tube pre.....
    I've seen that guy play live here in Milwaukee a couple of times, and he is incredible. If you listen to the recordings, there's parts where you'd swear he's playing a full kit, but he's just hitting the tamborine, and tuning it with his thumb. Very cool to see live.
    Jim Schwarz (VIP)
    http://landoblues.com
    http://bluesdisciples.com

"Great things are achieved through the steady accumulation of many inconspicuous small actions."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast