Thread: DIY Blumlein Ribbon Mic

Default DIY Blumlein Ribbon Mic

Hi everyone,
    Over the USA Holiday weekend, I finished building a Blumlein configuration of my AUSTIN Ribbon Microphone design. It took me about 10 hours total, and cost ~$150 USD.

It's got dual Cinemag 9887 output transformers, and I cut the ribbons a bit skinnier than the previous mic's I've made, allowing more space between the magnets and the ribbons.

Photos are here:
    www.RickshawRecords.com/ribbonmic/stereo

My initial recording of a 3-piece band in a small bar is here:
    www.RickshawRecords.com/CHUM/SBSS2007/

One song from another band is here:
    www.rickshawrecords.com/samples/shootin.mp3

Preamped with two ART-TUBE MP Studio V3's set on "FLAT" (No OPL or EQ) and about 60% of their total gain.
    Mic was about 15 feet from the kick drum, and about even with the height of the toms on the kit. The bands were not mic'ed through a PA - just amps and drums. NOTE: This is a totally random setup - No real thought was put into it, other than centering the mic on the band.

Thanks for all your support on the DIY Austin plans. I've had a lot of people asking really great questions. Next month, a gallery of photos from people who have already made the mics will be posted!

- Rick

DIY Ribbon Mic Plans available at:
    www.RickshawRecords.com

Scott Fraser is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Rickshaw Records View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Over the USA Holiday weekend, I finished building a Blumlein configuration of my AUSTIN Ribbon Microphone design. It took me about 10 hours total, and cost ~$150 USD.
    - Rick
    An initial thought: I'd give real strong consideration to the notion of replacing that DSUB connector with a 5 pin XLR.

Scott Fraser

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Fraser View Post
    I'd give real strong consideration to the notion of replacing that DSUB connector with a 5 pin XLR.
    Scott, Thanks for your input.
    Like the Royer SF-12, a 5-pin Male XLR was my first choice too, but I couldn't find one locally over the weekend. The breakout "Y" cable converts the DSub to two XLR Male cables. That gets me to any preamp.
    I am slightly concerned with connector pull-out (the DSub doesn't have jackscrews yet) That's the only disadvantage I can see at the moment... Any other reasons I'm missing?

DIY Ribbon Mic Plans available at:
    www.RickshawRecords.com