Thread: Iso Booths or Gobos?

Tim Julian is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Default Iso Booths or Gobos?

Hi all, I am in the process of building up a new studio at my home. It is being housed in a 18x39 shed with an open 18degree pitch roof (exposed trusses). I am going for a control room that will be 18x13.5, and the remaing 18x25.5 space I can either leave totally open, or put in some isolation booths down the far end. I was thinking of doing booths down there to put amps in (have the guitarists play in the main room with the drummer) in order to minimise bleed into the drum tracks, but still allow them to play 'together'. I was also figuring the vocalist could do a scratch track with a handheld in the control room while singing and looking through the window (6x3). Obviously they'd all be on headphones while doing this.

I am wondering now whether to forgo the booths and just do moveable screens/gobos etc.

Any thoughts on which way would work best and reasons for that would be appreciated. I've never had the luxury of so much space, so I'd like to do a good job of it.

If you've got the space (and time and money) to build a couple of iso booths, you should do so. And build gobos, too. I use both.
    Dave Martin
    Nashville, TN
    Java Jive Studio

I think you speak wisely. I'm interested to know how you have your iso booths wired Dave. My current thoughts are to have 2 xlr mic lines to each one, with a headphone socket and jack socket patched through into the main room so guitarists can play remotely in there. Any thoughts on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Julian View Post
    I think you speak wisely. I'm interested to know how you have your iso booths wired Dave. My current thoughts are to have 2 xlr mic lines to each one, with a headphone socket and jack socket patched through into the main room so guitarists can play remotely in there. Any thoughts on that?
    Well, it's a bit weirder than that; I have 4 mic lines and two returns into the small isos, plus I have TS connections with 10 gauge speaker cord that will allow an amp head to be set in the control room or tracking room and the cabinet can be in the iso. I seem to remember that I also ran a TS connection with guitar cable, but we've never used that; whenever a guitarist in the tracking room wants to isolate a combo amp, we usually just run a guitar cord under the door to the iso.

I also have a couple of two headphone sends into each iso., and though I haven't hooked them up yet, I a pair of CAT5 cables that might eventually be used for a mult-channel headphone mixer...
    Dave Martin
    Nashville, TN
    Java Jive Studio

Thats very helpful, thanks. I like the idea of the TS speaker cable to be able to run the amp remotely. Very cool.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Julian View Post
    Thats very helpful, thanks. I like the idea of the TS speaker cable to be able to run the amp remotely. Very cool.

Thanks!
    Use thick cable; it's a pain to put together, but you don't want a wimply speaker connector to make the amp sound less than its best...

You know, I think if I were doing it again, I'd use speakon connectors for the speaker line; I'm seeing them on cabinets now, and I'd just cobble together some adapters for older cabs that still use TS connectors.
    Dave Martin
    Nashville, TN
    Java Jive Studio

Speakon sounds good. I must admit, next to doing the ceiling in the new spaces, the next thing I'm not looking forward to is soldering all the connectors and the wall boxes. Still, no pain, no gain!