Thread: Digital photography has sure changed...

Hybrid View

Default Digital photography has sure changed...

My dad was always a shutter bug, so I've had a peripheral interest in cameras since I was young enough to hold one. I got the hand me downs, and had lots of fun with them, had a dark room when I was a teen, etc. I've always been OK at composing shots, etc., and could always be counted on to bring along a camera to any event. For the past few decades, I just equipped myself in a very utilitarian manner, not wanting things to balloon into another major league, gear intensive hobby.

Close to ten years ago, I bought the then new Nikon Coolpix (paid over $1k for it at the time). The convenience was great, and dealing with pictures digitally was nice. It took great pictures outside, but the flash, being so close to the lens, was always a compromise (and I've got a lot of crummy pictures to prove it).

At various points, I considered upgrading to something better, but just didn't get around to it. Almost bought a Canon Rebel a year or so ago, but there was something about it that struck me as being a bit cheesy (probably a very nice camera).

At any rate, my frustration was rising, and a recent issue of Consumer Reports raved about the Nikon D40. On a trip to Costco, I beheld a stack of the even newer Nikon D40X model (10.2 MegaPixel), complete with two lenses, and a bunch of accessories, and I walked out of the store with it (after paying for it, of course).

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I cannot believe what this camera can do, considering what it cost (and the manageable size). It is nothing short of amazing. There is an incredible amount of intelligence built into it. There are a wide range of preset modes that allow you to grab great pictures fast, and an enormous amount of depth if you want to get creative. A bit later, I purchased a few filters, and some Speedlights (along with some inexpensive umbrellas and stands off of eBay). I'm now set to do anything I want to do, including taking some dynamite photos for moving stuff on eBay. I'm most amazed by Nikon's CLS system, and how it can automatically set exposure through the lens, balancing multiple flash units and ambient light. Truly amazing, to me at least. If you're a complete idiot, you're still going to have problems, but this technology offers a lot of hope to partial idiots.

Another thing that was quite cool were the Nikon School DVDs that came in the package (plus others available from other sources). They really helped, and motivated me to thoroughly read the manuals.

I'm also very impressed at how intuitive it is to set this camera. My approximated 10 year old CoolPix, a much simpler camera, was a LOT more cryptic and complicated to set. I found myself continually going back to the manual on that one. The D40X is so much more straightforward. If I don't use it for awhile, I'm not going to be back to scratching my head.

In short, I was expecting that technology had moved along, but I was not at all prepared for how much things have changed. No more sub-standard, over/under exposed, red eye pictures for me.
    Lee Blaske
    Excelsior, MN
    http://www.reverbnation.com/leeblaske

I'm glad that said photography.

At first glance, I thought it was another word and I was reaching for the delete button.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    I'm glad that said photography.

At first glance, I thought it was another word and I was reaching for the delete button.
    I suppose that equipment could be used for that sort of thing, but not in this house. More likely, there will be a lot of Pembroke Welsh Corgi pictures.
    Lee Blaske
    Excelsior, MN
    http://www.reverbnation.com/leeblaske