Thread: New Mic Closet

New Mic Closet

We're setting up a studio at a community music school I teach at. I'd like some feedback on our proposed mic closet. The budget is about $4000.

earthworks SR71 pr (already have)
    SM57 3 (already have)
    km184 pr
    AKG 414 pr
    Sennheiser 421 pr
    EV RE20
    Soundelux U195 or other main vocal mic?

With the exception of the Soundelux, I've heard all these mics over the years. They all sound fine to me. I was always playing, never engineering. I want to know if this is a good selection to get started with. Have I overlooked something?
    We'll be recording jazz, classical, folk, rock, percussion ensembles, etc.
    We have a Soundcraft Ghost, Drawmer1960 and plan on getting some Sytek or Great River micpres.
    Thanks much for any feedback you can give me.

david tonkin mailto:tonkin@mediaone.nettonkin@mediaone.net</A> [LIST]

Well, I think you should check out the following microphones...
    Compare the KM184's to two Audio-Technica AT4041 (half price compared to the 184's and really nice sounding, personally the 184 are the only Neumann mics that I don't like cause they produce a thin sound compared to the old KM 84, which I like).
    Or even better, consider two AT4053 (cardioids) with the ability to switch capsules. And buy two AT4049-ELE (omni) capsules. Still cheaper than the KM184's and then you can have the sound of preasure omnis, great for recoding ambiences, room micing and close micing without getting any proximity effect. And if you just want a simple stereo recording of a folkband, then preasure omnis can make a big difference.

I'm not that fond of AKG 414 either, even tho it can be a savior when nothing else works, but if you want a cheaper goodsounding mic you should check out the AT4050.
    Dunno how much the Soundelux mic costs but if you want another really good tube mic then check out the Neumann M-147 or the AT4060.
    No, I'm not a sales rep for Audio-Technica, they just make really affordable, cleansounding mics if you're on a budget...
    AT can produce small membrane mics with no harsh highend at half the price of other microphone brands.
    The MD421's and the RE-20 are real workhorses that are good to have.
    But you should consider having a real kickdrum mic like an AKG D-112. Cause the RE-20 and MD421's will work on some big drums, but not all.

I compared the Great River and the Sytek on the 3D MicPre CD and GR is cleaner, but Sytek it half the price. And I actually like the Sytek more on fem voc and ac guitar.

My thoughts anyway

Cheers
    Frederick
    Ninja Production
    www.ninjaproduction.com

Just to clarify, the Soundelux U195 is an
    FET not a tube mic.

Originally posted by Frederick Norén:
    <STRONG>
    Dunno how much the Soundelux mic costs but if you want another really good tube mic then check out the Neumann M-147 or the AT4060.
    </STRONG>

Thanks for the responses. I don't care if the main vocal mic is tube or not. It should be different than a 414. I'm hoping to get feedback about the types of mics. Is this a good balance to start with? Do I really need something like small diaphram omnis?

thanks again,

david

I think the beyer m88 is a great "workhorse" mic.
    Sounds great on kick, snare , toms, bass cab, guitar cab, it's a great live vocal mic.
    More flexable than the 57. Of course, it is three times the price. I think the 57 is the king for snare and guitar cab though.
    I'm looking around for a classic m88 (I have the TG model, the classic I am told is even sweeter) to ad to my collection.
    jp
    I need more cowbell!

John (or anyone),

Have you used any of the Beyer ribbon mikes?
    I've heard they are very directional. Good for trumpet, violin, etc. I thought they might have their own spot in the closet. I think they are models M-160, M-260, M-500. I'm feeling like we'll need a "darker" mic.

david