Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recent Session

Recent Session

Here are some pictures from a session that I did just last week.

I will fill in details later.

This is the artist as we were running down the tunes. I tried the R84, which had a wonderful big creamy sound, and the C12 which sounded fine on her, but ultimately she wanted the mic that we discovered sounded great on her two albums ago-the Manley Gold. The sound of it on her voice makes her smile. In 16 albums to date, her voice on that mic is the favorite vocal sound she has ever gotten. And we spent some time finding that sound. Six mics, five different preamps. The Buzz MA-2 was the winner over a Martech and Focusrite 110. On most of the songs, it was Manley to Buzz to recorder. On the more dynamic songs, I used a Distressor for some level taming.

For these sessions, which were acoustic piano, acoustic guitar (steel and nylon) and cello only, I went for a big "chocolatey" piano sound-the kind that would wrap around you and envelope you without sounding so upfront and in your face. "Like buttah" was how the artist wanted it to sound. The M49s were the ticket there. I placed them so there would be separation in the stereo field but I didn't want it sounding like you had your head in the piano with the low strings to the left and high to the right. These ran through the Neve preamps. You'll notice that I had 414s in a typical miking configuration in case I needed that sound, but I never used them. They were run through a Summit Dual Tube pre and sounded good but just not right for this project.

On guitar, I used a C24 in an M-S configuration through the Great River MP-2NV and it sounded amazing. I also put up some outrigger mics for a wider image if needed. The KM-84 (left) and 4033 (right) were run through the Neve as well and I got a great sound actually using all three mics. For the natural, "sitting down listening" sound, the C24 was amazing. When the arrangement got more full, I dialed in the outside mics to add more definition and width. I printed each mic to a separate track and will make those decisions at mixdown. I was very happy with the sound.

David Cleveland is the player, who you may recognize from the first Pre CD. On these sessions he played four different McPherson guitars.

For cello, I tried out a variety of mics. The ones that aren't in the picture are my R84, which responded unfavorably to some unfortunate combination of cello/room resonances, and the 4040, which didn't capture the body of the instrument. The mic that I went with was the Coles 4038 (left) and it sounded wonderful. It went through my Focusrite ISA 110. The other mic, a U87, went through the console and had a more forward sound. On a few songs that were solo cello, I actually placed it a few feet away from the Coles and used them in stereo to great effect. The 87 ran through the console.

[ December 17, 2003: Message edited by: 3D Audio Inc. ]
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Hey Lynn, is that pianist James Castro?
    Steve Cruz
    Cruzified Music Prod.
    Florida

His name is Carl Hergesell. He was very good.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Is that your studio?

-jp
    I need more cowbell!

I wish.

No. That's Sound Kitchen E. That's also the room where the rhythm tracks for the DAWSUM Sampler were cut.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Is that Kathi Troccoli on lead vocal?
    Thanks for this post - very interesting. I noticed you had the 4033 in MS config approx 2 foot away ( unless the pic deceives me) & presumably no phase at all- is that also the C-24's ability to be that focused on its own?

Michael Hart

Originally posted by Michael Hart:
    <STRONG>
    Thanks for this post - very interesting. I noticed you had the 4033 in MS config approx 2 foot away ( unless the pic deceives me) & presumably no phase at all- is that also the C-24's ability to be that focused on its own?
    </STRONG>
    The 4033 and KM84 are just split stereo. Just the C24 is in M/S.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Kevin Perry is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)
    Please excuse this alternate universe question....but what kind if digital camera did you take the pics with?
    Kevin Perry
    Chameleon Music
    Nashville, TN

Originally posted by Kevin Perry:
    <STRONG>Please excuse this alternate universe question....but what kind if digital camera did you take the pics with?</STRONG>
    Same camera as the LA pix, my Fuji FinePix S602 Zoom. I'm really happy with it. They're making a different camera now but the optics are probably the same. I've been shocked by the resolution, though it's training my eye to spot a digital photo from miles away. The pictures above were taken at 1M resolution and the images were roughly 1M in size. There are about 8 different resolution settings. The highest results in about a 16M file and looks really good.

The color overall is very nice for a medium priced digital. ($~500) It's the same one that I took the sunset pictures with.

The only problem I have is that the flash is too close to the lens resulting in red eye, though it has a redeye reduction mode.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

i'm no photographer (that's why one of our partners here at KREW Media is a pro photographer) but i am now 100% convinced of digital cameras. we, at KREW, own a nikon d100 and a coolpix 5700 (for casual shots) and the quality is PHENOMENAL!!! our photographer still owns a cool array analog cameras (nikon n90s and a medium format Contax 645) but as far as i am concerned, digital is the way my friends!!! and the best part is, you can go to Costco to print your digital prints and they come out incredible (and its cheap too). i still own a Yashica Super T4 with leica lens on it and i thought that camera was a good camera for the money but now i am so sold on the digital that i can't see myself going back do i hear ebay??? HA
    by the way lynn, great pics and descriptions! do you have more???(salivating)

[ December 18, 2003: Message edited by: kk ]

[ December 18, 2003: Message edited by: kk ]
    IN HIS SPIRIT
    kk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast