Thread: Any differences between a Telefunken V72 and V72a micpre?

Any differences between a Telefunken V72 and V72a micpre?

I have an offer of buying a working Telefunken V72a micpre for $400 and I just wonder if any of you guys know if there's any significant difference in sound compared to the (older) V72.

I know that they aren't built in the exact same way and I've listen to a V72 and love the sound. I just wonder how the V72a compares to the V72.

And information is highly appreciated.

Cheers
    Frederick
    Ninja Production
    www.ninjaproduction.com

Sal Vito is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)
    Frederick,

I love V2s. Use them all the time... and I really hate to rain on your parade...

You probably shouldn't buy the V72a!!!

V72a in general is a bad idea (unless this PARTICULAR one is very cheap and DEFINITELY in working condition).

The main issue with V72as is reliability.

I am told the input transformers (different than V72 trannie) often go bad on V72a's and cannot be replaced. The design is also very different than the V72

Now.. if this PARTICULAR v72a works and you can get it for cheap ... it'll probably be fine... It'll sound okay if it works...

For REALLY REALLY good info on vintage V72s check out:
    http://www.vintageking.com/frameset_info.html

Click under "gear resources archive"

BTW: For a discussion of all the tube V series and the way they sound ... check out this article:
    http://www.mercenary.com/readguidtovi.html

Otherwise.. for long term reliability... go with a V72 or better yet... a NEW v72
    http://www.tab-funkenwerk.com/

Oliver at tab-funkenwerk.com can answer more questions about the V72 and its brethern.. He makes em new as well as modding them... He knows more about these things than anyone...

The new v72s are better than the vintage ones you find.. the vintage ones are often from radio stations... the transformer in the radio station ones WAS DIFFERENT AND NOT AS GOOD as the trannie used in the studio consoles like the one the beatles used...

Oliver's new V72s have the same trannie used in the STUDIO consoles.. Thus they have much more headroom... AND improved frequency response!!! The V72 amplifier can go WAY out to 100000 cycles if you took out the rolloff...

Regards!
    Sal Vito
    The Man of Sound
    salvito@hotmail.com
    312-409-0176

Sal Vito is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)
    $400 racked or unracked? WAs that $400 for a pair or just one?

BTW: I believe V72s go for approx $500 each working (before you rack them)... maybe it is best to get the real thing?
    Sal Vito
    The Man of Sound
    salvito@hotmail.com
    312-409-0176

Originally posted by Sal Vito:
    <STRONG>You probably shouldn't buy the V72a!!!

V72a in general is a bad idea (unless this PARTICULAR one is very cheap and DEFINITELY in working condition).

The main issue with V72as is reliability.

I am told the input transformers (different than V72 trannie) often go bad on V72a's and cannot be replaced. The design is also very different than the V72.</STRONG>
    Thanks for the info. I emailed TAB-Funkenwerk and got an answer from Oliver that there's 10 bad V72a on one bad V72.

And the sound is like night and day.

So I won't buy the V72a.

Cheers
    Frederick
    Ninja Production
    www.ninjaproduction.com