Thread: BAE 1073 vs. Neve Reissue 1073

Default BAE 1073 vs. Neve Reissue 1073

Have you guys tried these out side by side? I've got an Aurora GTQC that I've tried next to a reissue 1073, and while Neve seems a tighter in the mids - and overall a little more of my preferred sound flavor, but it's a pretty minimal difference. I'm just wondering if anyone thinks the Averill model is better.

Interesting. I don't think the GTQ sounds anything lik a Neve. Well, SOMETHING like it, but very different, let's say.

I think the Vintech, and BAE "clones" are much closer to the 1073, for instance, with the Averill being the closest match, basically indistinguishable.

The GTQ sounds brighter, tighter, maybe 'faster' to my ears, kind of like the child of a 1073 and an API? or maybe halfway between a 1073, and a Focusrite ISA?

I hope this helps?

We must have drastically different sounding units then...I agree that it's brighter on top, but to say it sounds nothing like the Neve is a little misleading...

OK, except what I said was:

"I don't think the GTQ sounds anything lik a Neve. Well, SOMETHING like it, but very different, let's say."

I think the GTQ sounds as much like a Focusrite ISA preamp as it does a Neve.

I realize that this may sound condescending, and I only mean it to be helpful:

Hearing the difference between preamps is not always easy, especially on single sources recorded at proper levels, where distortion and color are not as apparent. I do hear a drastic difference between the GTQ and a Neve 1073. Even Geoff Tanner himself says that the GTQ is not designed to be any kind of Neve clone, but an evolution thereof. Also, the transformer sounds different to my ears.

I don't mean to suggest that the GTQ is inferior. Its a great preamp. it is different than a Neve 1073, and therefore better suited to some applications as well.

My best and fiarest advice though is not to buy a GTQ if you want a 1073, when the Brent Averill copoies are right there to be had.