Thread: Curtains, Gobos, or other?

Default Curtains, Gobos, or other?

I have a small project studio and have been adding treatment to it. I've got absorption on the wall behind the speakers and on the back wall. I will be adding bass traps soon. My question has to do with absorption on the side walls and how to deal with a window. I have a flat wall to the left of the mix position on which I can put a panel. On the right I have a window. I tested with a mirror and the reflection point is exactly in the middle of the window. Would heavy curtains suffice to tame the reflections or should I rig a panel with either a stand or some kind of ceiling hanger?

Thanks,

David

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by D Sears View Post
    Would heavy curtains suffice to tame the reflections or should I rig a panel with either a stand or some kind of ceiling hanger?
    A panel is better because it absorbs to a lower frequency than a curtain. But a curtain can do in a pinch if it's very heavy, thick, pleated, etc.

--Ethan

Thanks Ethan, I've seen a lot of your posts on various bulletin boards and would like to take the time to tell you that you're a real asset to the audio community.
    I've learned a tremendous amount from your acoustics faq and from your various bulletin board postings.

David

A panel that's on a rolling track so that it can be moved back and forth would work well. That way you can have light from the window when you're doing non-critical listening and move it into place for when you're mixing.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

That's a good idea. The room is actually supposed to be a dining room so I'm a little hesitant to do anything that would hurt my resale value since I don't plan on being here long term. I'm looking for a place where I can build a proper studio. I'd also thought of putting a couple of those hooks people use for hanging plants and then rigging up some wire to attach the panel to, that would only leave a couple of holes in the ceiling that I could patch later. I could easily pull them down when I'm not mixing.

If I put panels in front of the window and opposite wall does it matter how far they are from the wall? Could I step in a few feet and use stands and something like Ethan's microtraps? Then, I could always use them in the other room when I record vocals. I have one of Realtraps portable vocal booths I use when cutting vocals but I could always use the microtraps behind the singer.

Thanks,
    David

Yes something on a stand will work GREAT!!

Glenn
    GIK Acoustics
    www.gikacoustics.com

Does it matter how far I set them in from the walls as long as they're between the reflection points and my mix position? I've got some keyboards in the way right now which would keep me from getting them real close to the walls.

Thanks,

David

Icon3

Does it matter how far I set them in from the walls as long as they're between the reflection points and my mix position?
    Ideally the panels would be the same left and right. If you can't do that, so be it. It's still better than a curtain, or nothing.

--Ethan

Does it matter how far I set them in from the walls as long as they're between the reflection points and my mix position? I've got some keyboards in the way right now which would keep me from getting them real close to the walls.

Thanks,

David
    I think it does matter so I would make the effect to move the keyboards to another part of the room. But as Ethan said it is better then nothing I guess.

Glenn
    GIK Acoustics
    www.gikacoustics.com