Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What has 112 faders, 384 inputs and over 3000 bands of EQ?

Default What has 112 faders, 384 inputs and over 3000 bands of EQ?

This does.

It's a Harrison MPC-4D, film mixing console that is headed to MosFilm, a film mixing studio in Moscow, Russia. It also has 16 TFT screens and is over 20 feet long. This one will be sourced by 8 (yes, eight!) synchronized PT playback systems.

It has some very cool features and is a real console, not an oversized mouse. It has eight band EQ on every channel, full dynamics control on each channel, is capable of 96K and features a full 64-bit audio processing architecture through the board. Latency is automatically compensated through the board and from input to output the latency is 8 samples. That's very cool.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Here are some more pictures.

Here's the control surface. Surprisingly compact.

Below is a picture of the display that is mounted above all inputs and shows all the pertinent data relating to each fader, including (from the top down) dynamics, EQ, output bussing, surround panner, aux send levels, pre- and post-view display (a very cool feature), and metering, along with channel number.

Below is a picture of the screen that shows the larger display of any channel's functions. Included are detailed displays of the 8-band EQ, dynamics, panner and much more.

Below is a picture of the pre/post view that I mentioned above. In the box at the bottom of the screen you can see the white signal is the input to the fader that scrolls in realtime up to the center line which is what you are presently hearing (like the timeline on a DAW) and then above that line is the audio that you just heard. So it's constantly scrolling from bottom to top with a 10 second preroll display and 10 seconds of postroll display. You can see on Channels 2, 3 and 4, there are volume changes (fader moves) shown by the tapering of the green bar.

For a moving picture and better explanation, check here: http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/joom...d=42&Itemid=53

Here is a picture of the console with people as a reference point for its size. There are six men standing side by side comfortably. And this picture is just the right half of the console.

This is a picture of the alphanumeric display on the console surface, which changes to show the parameters of any knob you grab. In this case I grabbed the Channel 2, Band 1 EQ (of 8), which is centered at 121 Hz, with a 6.2 dB boost and a Q of .72. VERY intuitive and informative. This readout is just inches away from the knob that I grabbed. Nice.

Below is a picture of the AMD Opteron-powered CPUs that are the CPU horsepower for the system. The operating system is running Linux. All are connected by Gigabit Ethernet to each other, as well as the I/O units and the control surface.

Here's what the back of the console looks like.

Here's another picture of the console.

Here's a picture of a similar system that is headed to Moscow as well. This one uses the smaller Trion control surface instead of the MPC-4D. They were eager to point out that it offers the same functionality as a Digi Icon, but also has DSP built in, has a similar footprint and COSTS LESS. So it's a real console, not just a glorified mouse. Imagine always having 8 bands of EQ and dynamics on every channel with nearly non-existent latency all without using plugins and eating up your DAW CPU bandwidth. Pretty sweet.

It's an impressive package. Made here in Nashville by Harrison Systems.

http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/joomla/index.php
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

The mixers I worked with @ Skywalker prefer these consoles to all others for movie sound mixing. They particularly mentioned the eq.

Philip Perkins

Yea. Harrison is very proud that the movies 300, No Country for Old Men, and Transformers, among this year's list of Oscar Nominees, were all mixed on these consoles.

Add to that Pearl Harbor, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and a few others you might recognize (!) and it's a pretty impressive resumé.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

One cool thing that I saw offered in their DSP package is the Level Controlled EQ.

It's two different EQs that are set up on the same channel and you can adjust the threshold where the signal changes from one EQ to the other. So one EQ setting for high level signals and a different setting for low level signals. I can think of a few singers where that might come in really handy. (Some of them I've referred to in the past as "Turbo Tenors.")

More info at this URL about half way down the page.

http://joomla.harrisonconsoles.com/i...d=38&Itemid=54
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Very Cool. Did I mention this is cool?
    Jim Schwarz (VIP)
    http://landoblues.com
    http://bluesdisciples.com

"Great things are achieved through the steady accumulation of many inconspicuous small actions."

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

Wow...I'll take 2, put em on Animix's credit card.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Was the AES meeting at Harrison last night? Dang it, I missed it. Darned shame, too - we were sitting at home with no power for a couple of hours (due, I imagine, to the wind).
    Dave Martin
    Nashville, TN
    Java Jive Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martin View Post
    Was the AES meeting at Harrison last night? Dang it, I missed it. Darned shame, too - we were sitting at home with no power for a couple of hours (due, I imagine, to the wind).
    Yep. You missed it. See that door in the background on the far wall behind the computers in this picture below? Those are the loadind dock doors straight to the outside. There was a lot of banging and rain hitting the doors as we looked over the console. But at least we had power.

It's funny to see a huge console like this in the "labor and delivery room." Not nearly as glorious as its future home, I suspect. Surrounded by bare wires, with cable bundles hanging down from the ceiling, with racks and racks of wires, computers, tools, old leftover console frames and parts bins everywhere. It looks more like a motorcycle chop shop without the grease than an audio laboratory. It's fun looking behind the scenes though.

As we looked it over, I was reminded of when I saw the first Harrison Series 10 way back when at an AES meeting at the AFM, must've been 22 years ago. It was the first digitally controlled analog console I'd ever seen. That seems like eons ago. Like looking at the Wright Brother's "invention" back in the day. My, how things have changed.

Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martin View Post
    we were sitting at home with no power for a couple of hours (due, I imagine, to the wind).
    That was just because they had to crank up the wind tunnel (hence the wind) to produce enough electricity to power this beast which, in turn, put too much strain on the grid so the rest of you guys lost your power 'til they were done....
    OTR Mastering
    Professional Audio Production for Life
    www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast