Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Focusrite ISA One

Default Focusrite ISA One

Just noticed this, which was introduced at NAMM. Very UA Solo-610 in form.

More info: http://www.focusrite.com/products/isa/isa_one/
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

From the look of the meter reading there must be one heck of a hum in that thing.

-D

Quote Originally Posted by DonM View Post
    From the look of the meter reading there must be one heck of a hum in that thing.
    I noticed that too. Maybe they want people to think that it does LOUD well.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

What an odd product. It's like they want you to put it out on the floor, but still use it as your convertor/clock source. They built it to be "rugged", but have the controls sticking out the front waiting to be broken/bent (ah I see, there's an optional flight case).

I guess it's supposed to be kind of a $999 swiss army knife of audio.

This looks like something I'd potentially bite on. My only gripe at first glance is perhaps too many bells and whistles.

Quote Originally Posted by OKden View Post
    What an odd product. It's like they want you to put it out on the floor, but still use it as your convertor/clock source. They built it to be "rugged", but have the controls sticking out the front waiting to be broken/bent (ah I see, there's an optional flight case).
    Quote Originally Posted by musical charities View Post
    This looks like something I'd potentially bite on. My only gripe at first glance is perhaps too many bells and whistles.
    Desktop solutions. I dropped by GML this evening and Krazury (George's assistant) was there sitting at a desk (not an English console--a typing desk) with headphones on staring at a laptop running PT hooked up to an Mbox. I caught her eye and said "You must be making a record." That's the way it's done now.

As far as all the bells and whistles, you could always just set the gain (upper left two knobs) and go. Put the In-Z on 110 (1400 ohms) and you're set. There's lots of stuff you'd never need to touch. A/D on a preamp. I know that's the future and it's probably better sounding than an Mbox, but that's more than I would need. That's all those buttons on the top right, so just ignore those.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Quote Originally Posted by musical charities View Post
    My only gripe at first glance is perhaps too many bells and whistles.
    I just earlier this evening got a call from someone who found a preamp he didn't recognize. On this stereo preamp, there were nine controls. Hmmm.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

It's been over 15 years since I heard the original Focusrite 110 mic pre. What I remember was a clean but smooth sound. Better sounding that the Focusrite 428 series though in the same family. Based on Focusrite's web site it seems like this 110 pre is the same as the vintage one but with more bells on it. Looks very appealing to me.

"ISA One features the classic vintage microphone pre-amplifier topology from the original ISA110 module, including the Lundahl L1538 transformer and bespoke zobel network. (The original 110 pre amp formed the cornerstone of each channel of Focusrite's legendary Forte console.)

The pre amp is complemented by a line input (XLR and TRS Jack) and an independent D.I. channel, complete with dedicated gain control, active or passive impedance switch, a TRS Jack output for routing to an amp and an independent XLR output on the rear. This flexible independent D.I. makes the ISA One ideal both for engineers wishing to blend a D.I.’d guitar signal with a mic’d guitar cabinet, and for demanding performers who require a single classic solution for both guitar and vocals.

A variable impedance circuit has been added, allowing the user to switch between four carefully selected input impedance settings. In addition to the original ISA110 impedance, three further impedance settings allow perfect matching, or creative mismatching of the pre amp with any microphone.

ISA One also features an insert point, should the need arise to place extra processing between the pre amp or D.I. and the optional converter. Phantom power, phase reverse and a 75Hz, 18dB/octave high-pass filter are also available from the angled front fascia."
    revelationsoundstudio.com

If this does in fact end up being closer in sound to the 110 than the 428 is reputed to be, I'll be happy to bite.

It will have a happy home next to my Buzz and GR. =D

Just checked out sweetwater. Street price is 799.99.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ISAOne

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast