Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Focusrite ISA One

Just wondering,...studio space-wise, and function-wise, how practical is a unit in this kind-of size and shape? I'm kind-of surprised manufacturers are building odd shaped gear. I suppose this works well as a one-off for location recording away from the studio, but how many of these odd balls would you have in your studio set-up. I suppose if you build a shelf for odd balls, it's likely not an issue. But for smaller set-ups like mine, I've been moving away from odd shapes towards rack mount (and I'm considering the 500 series), as things can get pretty cluttered really fast with gear that doesn't stack well or won't stack at all.

I don't know. I was wanting the isa series so much, till I've tested an original one. I think what focusrite want to sell us (that it's almost the same, but a bit better and cheaper) is not true.
    Tamas Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Derrick View Post
    Just wondering,...studio space-wise, and function-wise, how practical is a unit in this kind-of size and shape? I'm kind-of surprised manufacturers are building odd shaped gear. I suppose this works well as a one-off for location recording away from the studio, but how many of these odd balls would you have in your studio set-up. I suppose if you build a shelf for odd balls, it's likely not an issue. But for smaller set-ups like mine, I've been moving away from odd shapes towards rack mount (and I'm considering the 500 series), as things can get pretty cluttered really fast with gear that doesn't stack well or won't stack at all.
    I don't think it's designed for professionals who need two, four or eight channels. It's for someone who needs a single chain for A mic. Look at the BLUE Robbie, the UREI Solo-610 or 210, for that matter even an MP1-NV though that one is at least expandable and can be rack mounted when you need another one. Imagine even two of these sitting on top of your rack or your desk. Nowadays, there are consoles that are smaller.

http://www.mackie.com/products/402vlz3/
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

console?
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    Nowadays, there are consoles that are smaller.

http://www.mackie.com/products/402vlz3/
    Sure, and these "consoles" even have preamps of quality "youd expect to find in pricey boutique mic pres. "

best regards
    Andreas Lassak
    SoundDesign Studio

It's maddening: As soon as I make it right - it suddenly works!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Derrick View Post
    Just wondering,...studio space-wise, and function-wise, how practical is a unit in this kind-of size and shape? I'm kind-of surprised manufacturers are building odd shaped gear. I suppose this works well as a one-off for location recording away from the studio, but how many of these odd balls would you have in your studio set-up.
    Yep - if it ain't rack mountable, I'm not particularly interested. The reason that I never bought an API lunchbox is that I don't have available countertop space. A lunchbox (or one of these ISA One's) might be workable for some folks, but they certainly won't sit well with others in a busy studio; for example, my producer's desk is currently stacked up with a 5 space bass rack (with a Millennia TD-1 on top), a 5 space guitar rack with a headphone box and a pair of headphones on top of it, charts and lyrics for my current project, a few hard drives (in cases), a couple of tuners, another headphone box, a power strip, a bowl filled with reading glasses, guitar picks and misc. adapters, a business checkbook and my lighted Las Vegas sign. There's no place for a lunch box - and if it had been there before this project started, I wouldn't be able to get to it at this point in the proces...
    Last edited by Dave Martin; 03-01-2008 at 04:26 PM.
    Dave Martin
    Nashville, TN
    Java Jive Studio

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

Dave, my 500 chassis is all racked up in a 3 space high box...ADesigns is also making a single rack space gizmo to mount 2 500 cards horizontally...

Just an fyi.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

a bowl filled with reading glasses

Forget all else. These are a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martin View Post
    .... a 5 space guitar rack with a headphone box and a pair of headphones on top of it, charts and lyrics for my current project, a few hard drives (in cases), a couple of tuners, another headphone box, a power strip, a bowl filled with reading glasses...
    Boing!

There's a sign of the times. Used to be we had bowls full of fruit or other "chemical creativity aids" in the studio. Now it's a bowl full of reading glasses. I only laugh because it's so true.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
    console?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Lassak View Post
    Sure, and these "consoles" even have preamps of quality "youd expect to find in pricey boutique mic pres. "
    I knew as soon as I hit SUBMIT that I'd hear about it.

Physical size is the only parameter I was addressing.* I just saw that Mackie in an ad and was shocked that it was both A) so small and B) not smaller. I envision a mixer any day now that is the size of a Zoom or MicroTrack. Four faders, multipin I/O (because the connectors are larger than the mixer!), VU meters the size of your thumbnail (they'll probably be LEDs now that I think about it), and all powered by batteries, simply because there's not enough room for a connector for the power source. An IEC connector would be larger than all the Master section!

* Mackie is 5.8 x 7.3 inches. ISA-One is 8.7 x 10 inches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 1.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	1011   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 2.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	1012  
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast