Thread: Metric Halo anyone?

Default Metric Halo anyone?

I see that some of you are familiar with and use Metric Halo units for location recordings. I would love to hear your thoughts on their products. I'm looking into upgrading my location package and need your advice.
    Thanks much and BTW, I enjoy this forum very much.
    Barry Little
    nomadmusicstudio.com

IME,

Tho I've just lightly used their gear, I think they make top quality stuff. Whether or not they'll meet you, or your clients' needs I cannot say.

The ULN and the MobileI/O are good products. The only real negative is the noise of the preamps on the Mobile I/O when at higher gain (past +34dB I think?!?) - ULN's are great. If you need 8+ channels and mic-pre's, I'd suggest finding mods to better the Mobile I/Os onboard pre's, or use outboard pre's.

They have absolutely great programmers and software, but were very slow at updates/bug fixes. That seems to be better now. All of their digital coding (plugins, SW, routing, etc.) is of the best available. Best of all, their converters sound great - even against many newer designs (AFAIK they haven't upgraded their AD/DA's for many, many years?!?).

I'd consider them as a solid option, more dependent on your SW choice (Logic/DP/etc). However, it seems Pro Tools is the ever popular pgm, even with LE systems being so crippled. Without extensive mods (002R), or a good ADAT with pre's as a front end, they are costly and quite limited. That said, it is what the majority of people expect to see. I personally use a Ramsa WZ-AD96M with my 002R for location work, and it suits my needs very well.

The Metric Halo stuff is good quality tho - if you want to find out more real world opinion, do a search on Gearslutz - there are a number of users there.

Best with it,
    N. Jay Burr
    PlugHead Productions

http://www.plugheadproductions.com

Since this post a new software mixer/ record panel has been released, as well as a DSP chip retrofit for legacy units.

Imagine being able to configure a mixer any way you can imagine with inserts that will model (at least as well as Liquid Channel) several mic pres (tube and solid), compressors and limiters, and "Haloverb"--

This V5 software has been in beta for 2 years, and is rather astounding!

Rich
    Rich Mays
    309 Gloucester Rd
    Savannah GA 31410
    912-484-8451
    www.sonarerecordings.com

And 5.1 was just released-- for free, of course!

www.mhlabs.com/metric_halo/

Rich
    Rich Mays
    309 Gloucester Rd
    Savannah GA 31410
    912-484-8451
    www.sonarerecordings.com

This is an old thread but MH has just released the ULN-8, and as a beta tester for over a year and a half I can tell you it sounds absolutely amazing!

Rich
    Rich Mays
    309 Gloucester Rd
    Savannah GA 31410
    912-484-8451
    www.sonarerecordings.com

Haigbabe is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Icon2

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Mays View Post
    This is an old thread but MH has just released the ULN-8, and as a beta tester for over a year and a half I can tell you it sounds absolutely amazing!

Rich
    Greets Rich.

Hope the health is allowing you to do all the wonderful things you enjoy.

Just remind me, the ULN-8 has to run with a Mac only, true? Or can it speak PC via firewire?

Cheers,

Haigbabe
    Proud supporter of 3D as a 2012 3D VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Haigbabe View Post
    Greets Rich.

Hope the health is allowing you to do all the wonderful things you enjoy.

Just remind me, the ULN-8 has to run with a Mac only, true? Or can it speak PC via firewire?

Cheers,

Haigbabe
    Health is better every day--thanks! Yes, MH is MAC only. BUT I had a utility written that takes the files with MH (each take has a folder with the files from that take in it) and spits out ALL channel one files followed by ALL ch 2 etc. Very handy.

Rich
    Rich Mays
    309 Gloucester Rd
    Savannah GA 31410
    912-484-8451
    www.sonarerecordings.com