Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recording in recital hall with light street noise

Quote Originally Posted by kevin321 View Post
    For getting better quality output recording while recording in light street noise, you can make use of noise cancellation microphones. You can get the advice from a professional transcription services on making a recording absolutely clear.
    The only active noise canceling mics I'm aware of are the A-Ts and those are pretty pricey. Are there others I don't know about?
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin321 View Post
    You can get the advice from a professional transcription services on making a recording absolutely clear.
    Not sure professional transcription will make better recordings. But if you keep posting and pushing your services, it will get you banned.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Remember that the most important aspects of a piano recording are the pianist and the piano. A well-voiced 9-ft Steinway will make an infinitely better impression than the best 7-ft Yamaha on the planet. It's about the music-- not whether there is background noise.

As for the imagined ability to remove noise and make it "absolutely clear"-- if only this were true. I have about $4k in plugins designed to do one thing-- remove noise. Considering there are many different kinds of noise only a fool would promise anything. It is entirely a "try-and-see" game and rarely is there free lunch-- no matter how sophisticated the algorithm there will be side effects or artifacts. Whether you can hear them depends on your ears and what you are listening on.

Rich
    Rich Mays
    309 Gloucester Rd
    Savannah GA 31410
    912-484-8451
    www.sonarerecordings.com

it is also quite possible to eliminate most background noise by using noise reduction plugin in your DAW during post. just record several seconds of just the ambient noise in the space, and feed that to the NR plugin, and it will subtract that response curve from your signal. i have used it to great effect when recording in a large cathedral space which had a huge audience, truck traffic outside and amazingly loud HVAC. take a listen to "en de forme de la habenera" by RoseWynde on youtube.
    jnorman
    sunridge studios
    salem, oregon

Is there a budget? I ask because I've had a customer actually pay the city to close the streets around the venue at night when we were tracking. There was a police car at each intersection preventing anyone from driving past the church on any of the surrounding streets.

And man, did it make a difference.
    John Whitmer

"They didn't want it good, they wanted it Wednesday."
    --Robert A. Heinlein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12