Thread: Mix review please

Default Mix review please

Right click and save as.

http://www.musicalcharities.org/demo...n%20Sample.mp3

This is a sample of something I'm planning on using this on an upcoming project. Any thoughts, opinions and criticisms on sound quality, etc, would be especially welcome!

Michael
    Last edited by musical charities; 08-08-2008 at 01:50 AM.

From a couple quick listens:
    1) The bass seems to be competing with the sax for attention, at least at first. later on they seem to get along better. Might be an arrangement issue.
    2) Spread the synth pad across the stereo field. Is it stereo? If not, try a delay or reverb returned to the opposite side. Pad should probably come down a bit as well.
    3)Sax(s). Where the part is doubled, spread them a bit more, or lower the second part to a supporting role. Sorta depends on the intent here.
    4) Sax - nice sound in general. Early on, there's a bit of reed wheeze. Mic positioning seems to be the best solution - possibly move the mic back or down a bit.

It's only a drive-by critique. take it for what it's worth.

thanks for sharing.
    W

At first glance,...

I don't mind the bass, keys, and saxes, but it would sure be nice to have real drums, no? The music presents a cool vibe that seems to be asking for some energy and variation in that department to help bring more dynamics to the Dancing Beans.

Like Tone, I might be tempted to separate the saxes a little more. The creative mixing potential with those 2 sax parts seems to contain many interesting options. But who knows, if your intent is to make them sound as "one" (in a sense) then perhaps it makes more sense to pan as you did.

Context will likely influence how you make your mixing decisions. If this piece is a stand-alone vs interlude vs opening track, etc.

Thank you very much for the feedback! It is good to hear fresh opinions on something that I've listened to perhaps a tad too much to be objective!

It is very interesting to hear the new perspective that you both bring. Seperation seems to be a common observation--Do you think it's more an issue with keeping one hard panned L and the other R? And perhaps removing the third sax that is center panned?

Real drums might be cool, I am flattered that you used the word "groove", Mike, that is exactly the kind of feel I was trying to go for. It will be the first track on an upcoming CD, so I do want to make sure that it sets the mood for the rest!

This strikes me as sort of a "Trance" piece. I generally like that genre for some reason.
    I like the piece. Real drums would be interesting but using a drum machine is more usual I think. I might like to hear a more interesting, busier, in your face beat.
    Bass line, could conflict with the sax, but because of the register difference doesn't seem to be a problem.
    I would like to see the sax moved back a bit spatially, down in level, more ambience.
    Some of the inaccurate doubling bothered me a bit, but if it's intentional, that's cool.
    It was fairly short, but I get bored quickly, and I listened all the way through and enjoyed it. I liked the sax players tone too.

There!

Cool Bill Thanks for the feedback.

It's a little late for me to change things in this particular incarnation--the album has finally gone gold. But I do think that in the future version, real drums would be a welcome addition.

Thanks to all the valuable members of the 3DB team for helping me produce my first CD! I could not have possibly done it without all of you!

Michael