Thread: Man, am I sore today........

Default Man, am I sore today........

Spend a goodly part of the weekend cutting and stacking firewood and getting the property ready for winter. In my best Forrest Gump..."cuttin' farwood is harrrrrd work" and my 58 year old structure used a few muscles that were a bit out of practice. I did get to grunt a lot......in a most manly way.

I'm looking for a snow blower this week. Last fall, the plant that is an indicator of potential snowfall in this area according to the "old timers" (called skunk cabbage) was about 5' tall around this time. That's about how much snow we had in our front yard. This year it's higher than that and it's been a much cooler summer than last summer. We've only had a few days over 90 degrees all summer long. I'm betting on another winter with lots of snow here.

Last night the wind shifted and started blowing from the north. This morning, it's about 50 degrees with a nice northerly breeze.
    Doug Joyce
    Animix Productions

Quote Originally Posted by animix View Post
    We've only had a few days over 90 degrees all summer long.
    Braggart.

;-)

We did have two wonderfully cool mornings this past weekend, in the low 60s. It was an amazing break from the typical mid to upper 90s, high humidity Nashville August.

"Dad, come here. You won't believe how cool it is outside" is what I heard both Saturday and Sunday mornings after my 7 year old went out to check on the plants.

Fall is eagerly awaited here.

(Though I just found out that Fall Break when I get the kids this year has been cut from one week to two days and the subsequent weekend. So a four day weekend instead of my usual 8 days. Whose butt at the school system do I have to kick for doing that? When I only get them 80 days a year, losing 4 of those is HUGE. That's 5% of my total annual time. So I'm on the warpath right now.)
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    Braggart.

We did have two wonderfully cool mornings this past weekend, in the low 60s. It was an amazing break from the typical Nashville summer heat of August. "Dad, come here. You won't believe how cool it is outside" is what I heard both Saturday and Sunday mornings after my 7 year old went out to check on the plants.

Fall is eagerly awaited here.
    I loved fall when I was living in Tennessee. It was really beautiful there. Summers were hot though, even on the western edge of the Smokies.

The plant that is locally referred to here as skunk cabbage is not skunk cabbage at all, but is actually Frasera speciosa

http://www.swcoloradowildflowers.com...20speciosa.htm

I can't wait until the sagebrush starts to bloom and the aspens turn. It's an incredible spectacle......and oh yeah.....I saw one of our bears the other night. He/she was chowing on the apples that have started dropping off the trees in our front yard. His condition was much better than at this time last year. There's been plenty of their natural food this summer. It's rained a lot.
    Doug Joyce
    Animix Productions