Thread: Mixing with allergies

Default Mixing with allergies

The sagebrush and a few other fall blooming flora have my sinuses/ears going in and out of vaporlock right now and I'm trying to get a few mixes ready for preliminary approval.

Just concerned with relative levels, panning and any freq "gotcha's" at this point. Production decisions as to whether or not to keep/lose all or part of the slide track will come later.

Thanks,
    Last edited by animix; 09-22-2008 at 03:48 AM.
    Doug Joyce
    Animix Productions

I assume you're working on the file you uploaded 9/21? Billy?

Hit hat seems mildly loud on my system--maybe a db or so to my ear. Not obnoxious at all, just a preferrence thing.

Bass seems just a little muddy as well at some points. It's well balanced at the start of the tune, full and present.After about the 1 minute mark, and again at 2:10 it seems noticably more present, just a touch too much--again may just be a matter of taste.

Vocals are very clear in relation to the rest of the mix. Guitars sit well and don't interfere.
    Last edited by musical charities; 09-21-2008 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by musical charities View Post
    I assume you're working on the file you uploaded 9/21? Billy?

Hit hat seems mildly loud on my system--maybe a db or so to my ear. Not obnoxious at all, just a preferrence thing.

Bass seems just a little muddy as well at some points. It's well balanced at the start of the tune, full and present.After about the 1 minute mark, and again at 2:10 it seems noticably more present, just a touch too much--again may just be a matter of taste.

Vocals are very clear in relation to the rest of the mix. Guitars sit well and don't interfere.

I couldn't leave it alone (always happens when something's not working ). I made another pass at it.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?wozywtwnnea
    Sounds a bit tighter. I'll probably hate it in the morning when (if) I can hear.
    Last edited by animix; 09-22-2008 at 04:01 AM.
    Doug Joyce
    Animix Productions

Beware of 1:50. I don't know if it's the mp3 conversion that did it, but I hear a scratch/pop.

I do find this run more enjoyable to listen to. I would probably turn up the elec gutiars at 1:13 for some nice contrast--a solo-esqe kind of feel, then turn them down when the vocals pop in. Maybe a slight touch more compression/make-up gain during the section at 1:13, with maybe increased delay/stereo spread would be what I'd try during those sections.

All in all it sounds good/better though.
    Last edited by musical charities; 09-22-2008 at 04:28 AM.

Hey Doug.

Sounds fine all around. A few things I might tweak for personal taste reasons, but nothing stands out as an obvious issue.

For personal tastes I might be tempted to raise the volume for the slide during the slide solo. I also might be tempted to either raise the volume of the guitars in general by a dB or two, or lower the vocal a hair,...just to see how it sounds. Who knows, your allergies seem to mix just fine.