Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PT HD and RADAR and Studer comparison

You know . . . I had an email exchange with MM a few months back, and I found him to be a decent fellow. Very opinionated, but so am I, so that doesn't bother me. We weren't really talking PT vs. whatever specifically, though it did come up as a tangent. As to the whole "Alsihad" or whatever they call it thing . . . I don't really get it . . . I've always held that the opposite of both love and hate is utter indifference - love and hate are actually quite close together. As pertains to gear that a lot of people use and which certainly get their share of hype, I guess I could say, for example, that I really dislike the sound of Mackie analog mixers (especially the EQ) & SSL consoles, but I don't make up pet-slag-names for them. I just don't use gear I don't particularly like if I can keep from it (which is almost always), and never give it another thought. It takes a lot of energy to downright hate something - more than I have anyway. I don't know MM's story, or exactly where he's coming from. He is a pro though (he does it for a living and works on lots of nationally released product), and best I can tell is just as insanely passionate an audio fanatic as many of us here are. So I just assume he's got his reasons. And since I long ago came to the conclusion that I do far better work much faster mixing on an analog console than a DAW, well . . . I don't personally care.

I don' know . . . It sure is interesting to watch people get so wound up over it though. I'm not a missionary. If you don't like how something sounds, don't use it. Who cares what lots of people say about it?
    Cheers,
    John Wheeler
    Nashville, TN

Originally posted by John Wheeler:
    <STRONG>I don't know . . . It sure is interesting to watch people get so wound up over it though. I'm not a missionary. If you don't like how something sounds, don't use it. Who cares what lots of people say about it?</STRONG>
    It's sort of like the guys who write computer viruses. It makes you wonder what they could accomplish if they spent their wealth of resources on doing good, instead of tearing stuff down.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Kevin Perry is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)
    Okay I heard the samples....between the PT and Radar...I can hear a difference. (Hooray for my new monitors and my old ears!)

It's way down there. This is minute tho only on comparison, and nothing I would stop tracking for either.

I found the "hump" at 118hz on the PT version like you guys...and I noticed a slight dip around 58hz. Intersting that this is approximately half of 118hz.
    Kevin Perry
    Chameleon Music
    Nashville, TN

They WERE different.

This reminds me of the time we did a shootout between the ADAT and the DA-88. I would have vastly preferred the clean high end from the Tascam combined with the cleaner low-end of the ADAT. I went for the DA-88 because it was much more friendly to film and TV work.

I preferred the high end of HD to radar but to me there was a loss of perceived weight which would be unacceptable to some clients. On the other hand I recently spent a few days sitting in on a surround mix to an HD system and it sounded really good driven by an SSL 9000.

There are combinations of gear that have great synergy and there are combinations that leave a lot to be desired.The lesson is to never generalize.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12