Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you hear?

What did you hear?

It's time for feedback. If you've listened to the CD, feel free to post your opinions here.

I'm curious to hear what you thought so post away. I won't reveal the true identities of the cuts until March 1. I'll post them right here.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

The last of the CDs are going out today, some to overseas listeners. So in fairness to them, I am going to delay revealing the identities for one more week.

If you can't stand the wait and are willing to offer your opinions via email, you can send me an email at go3daudio@aol.com and I'll email you the answers right now.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Ok, I already posted on RAP, but here I go again. Public embarrassment, as someone said, because most likely I'm wrong about everything.

To me it seems quite clear that #1 is the PT mix. There is something that PT does to drums (that I don't like, btw), which I think is the giveaway.

Especially in the section in the very end, the drums in #2 seem a lot "meatier", even though the reverb seems somewhat less appropriate in that one. The same section in #1 is the sound I associate with PT, even though it's not as bad as in my own recordings, which probably has to do with the fact that Lynn is way more professional than me (and it was RECORDED through the Neve mic pres anyway, right?). Also, I think brass instruments in #2 sound somewhat more pleasant.

Sample 6 sounded better than sample 7 to me. Again, #7 had a "piercing" quality to it, whereas #6 seemed smoother and more full-sounding.

I only heard the samples through a Sounblaster connected to multimedia spekears, though, not exactly the environment for critical listening. I still haven't had the chance to check the mixes in good speakers, even though I have had the CD for a couple of days.

Timo

Come on!

It's hard to believe, with as many copies of this as I've sent out in the past three weeks, that only one person has an opinion.

I am really curious what people think of these two mixes side by side. You don't even have to commit to which is which. I am just very interested in what people are hearing. It's fascinating to me.

So far, I am hearing one comment consistently. "One mix is brighter than the other." I agree with that assessment completely. The interesting part is that people don't agree on which is the brighter of the two. Some say it's the first, some say it's the second. It's just a matter of taste.

So if you have any opinions, please post them. I'd love to read about your impressions of what you hear.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Timo,

Nothing to be ashamed of here. There are plenty of people that agree with your comments, so you are not the only one. And on the Pre CD, there were people who liked the Mackie as well as, if not better than, the other preamps.

I would be interested to see if your opinion changes when you listen on different playback speakers.

Some people did the Pre CD test and listened on as many as three different sets of speakers in three different locations. They found that their opinion of "what is good" varied depending on the speakers that they were using. I'd be interested to find out if your opinions stay the same or are different when you listen on higher quality speakers. Please let me know when you do.

Originally posted by th:
    <STRONG>Ok, I already posted on RAP, but here I go again. Public embarrassment, as someone said, because most likely I'm wrong about everything.

To me it seems quite clear that #1 is the PT mix. There is something that PT does to drums (that I don't like, btw), which I think is the giveaway.

Especially in the section in the very end, the drums in #2 seem a lot "meatier", even though the reverb seems somewhat less appropriate in that one. The same section in #1 is the sound I associate with PT, even though it's not as bad as in my own recordings, which probably has to do with the fact that Lynn is way more professional than me (and it was RECORDED through the Neve mic pres anyway, right?). Also, I think brass instruments in #2 sound somewhat more pleasant.

Sample 6 sounded better than sample 7 to me. Again, #7 had a "piercing" quality to it, whereas #6 seemed smoother and more full-sounding.

I only heard the samples through a Sounblaster connected to multimedia spekears, though, not exactly the environment for critical listening. I still haven't had the chance to check the mixes in good speakers, even though I have had the CD for a couple of days.

Timo</STRONG>
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

With all the fuss stated in many message boards regarding how bad the PT mixer is as compared to outputing into a high end digital or analog console, I expected a signficant difference. Howerver, I found sample 1 and 2 to be very close during the first few minutes of listening. My inital reaction was that both samples would be fine for most applications, although I had a slight preference for sample 2.

I ran both tracks into Protools and solo'ed between the tracks for an A/B comparison - monitored with Dynaudio BM15's. I had extracted the 44Khz 16bit samples, since for some reason my current MAC OS config won't mount a ISO-9660 to get at the data files.

After several minutes of listening, I started to hear detailed differences. It varies depending on what is playing (passages with mainly drums, or piano, or a tail of crescendo), such that there seemed to be more of a difference during the quiet passages versus less of a difference during the louder passages.

Over time, I found that I much prefered track 2. There were subtle details to the sound that sounded more pleasent to listen to then track. Track 2 seemed to have more depth, more width and more sonic range. Track 1 seemed to be tighter, not a smooth.

So my guess is that track 1 is the Protools mix...

Originally posted by BuickWilson:
    <STRONG>After several minutes of listening, I started to hear detailed differences. It varies depending on what is playing (passages with mainly drums, or piano, or a tail of crescendo), such that there seemed to be more of a difference during the quiet passages versus less of a difference during the louder passages.
    </STRONG>
    I found the same to be true. On the loud (fuller) passages, I could switch back and forth and barely tell the difference between them. The tell-tale signs were still there, but there were fewer differences.

On the softer passages, the difference was more pronounced. I attribute some of that to the ratio between music and reverb, with the reverb being more exposed on the softer passages.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

>>Reverb<<

Yes, I agree... BTW, it was a nice reverb setting... do your remember what you used?

Originally posted by BuickWilson:
    <STRONG><font color=blue>>>Reverb<<

Yes, I agree... BTW, it was a nice reverb setting... do your remember what you used?</font color=blue></STRONG>
    There was only one reverb, although in practice I typically use 5 to 6 when I'm mixing.

The reverb was a 480L. The setting was Bank 1, Program 1, Large Hall. It was a slightly modified version from the original preset but I can't tell you what the changes were. They were minimal, I assure you.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

You know . . . they both sound really good. I spent the most time listening to the 16 / 44.1 (tracks 2 & 3) because I figure that's how it's going to end up, and that's what ultimately matters to the end consumer. I honestly have no idea which is which - but in the spirit of the game I'll venture a guess and say #2 is Pro Tools and #3 is the Neve. Like I said, I honestly have no idea, but I'll give the following reasons for my guess - which are probably based more on prejudice than fact. Of tracks 2 & 3, to my ears, #2 sounds just a bit more forward overall. #3 seemed to me, especially in headphones, to have a bit more depth / richness of field (maybe even to display a slightly wider stereo field) and to bit a bit softer on the top end and on some of the horn transients, but it was also a little bit more cloudy. I think. They're so similar, and the differences are so slight to me that they're hard for me to describe.

If anything, I think this demonstrates that - in the hands of a skilled engineer - excellent work can be done on either platform.
    Cheers,
    John Wheeler
    Nashville, TN

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast