Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Lynn learned from all this

Kevin Perry is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)
    Originally posted by Dan Kennedy:
    <STRONG>Kevin,

Actually, I did post that I heard a difference that was audibly and clearly PT.

On a less than optimal monitoring chain too.
    </STRONG>
    Ah yes, I remember that post now! Okay that makes 3...

I heard the same low level "ambience loss" that your talking about in the soft sections. This probably bothered me the most on the PT mix...more than the top end.
    Kevin Perry
    Chameleon Music
    Nashville, TN

orig posted by JohnD
    After listening to tracks 6 and 7, I wondered if the RADAR and PT systems were synced to the same external clock or were they running on their own internal clocks during the transfer to the Masterlink

As for the transfers I did for Lynn on this, we used internal clocks. When we transferred the RADAR to PT we had the PT set for Digital which would have taken the clocking from the RADAR I don't remember that we actually hoooked a clock(bnc) from the RADAR to the USD.

I would imagine that Lynn did use the internal PT clock for the final mix at his place.
    George Cumbee, Pres
    Audio Creations Inc., Paducah, KY
    ClassicRecording, Franklin, TN
    www.classicrecording.com

The comparison for my purposes was one of bit integrity. I wanted to confirm that the file that was exported from RADAR via AES was identical to the same file imported to PT and then played back at unity gain. Therefore the clock source was insignificant, since I was only checking bits.

The RADAR and PT transfers to Masterlink of the M50 tracks were both made with the respective units on internal sync, sourced from their own internal clocks.

Originally posted by JohnD:
    <STRONG>Hi, Lynn,

RE: tracks 6 and 7.

My understanding was that one was a digital transfer of the M50 pair from RADAR and the other was a digital transfer of the same file from PT. If I recall correctly, both were into a Masterlink.

In your post today (thanks, too, for sharing your detailed insights), you mentioned clocking issues. I have felt for a long time that this can be very important, as it can effect the tone considerably. I even drag my best clock around to sync to when I do a critical remote recording. Silly? Maybe, but I don't think so.

After listening to tracks 6 and 7, I wondered if the RADAR and PT systems were synced to the same external clock or were they running on their own internal clocks during the transfer to the Masterlink?

Thanks,

John</STRONG>
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Brian Shillito is offline 3D VIP 2010, '11, '12, '13. '14
    Lynn, I would just like to thank you for sharing so openly your findings regarding this experiment. While I am a relative greenhorn in the world of music production I can grasp most of the content of the postings here. Your insights as always are both enlightening and thought provoking. I often get the feeling that many professional sound engineers feel the need to protect their knowledge in the same way as a fisherman guards his sacred lures or fishing holes. This is certainly not the case in this forum where so many gifted individuals so freely reveal their “tricks of the trade”. For whatever it is worth, this generosity is greatly appreciated.
    Brian Shillito
    Blackfish Sound Studio
    West Vancouver B.C.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000844248569

Who added the "AT"?

WOW! What an answer! I'm glad I asked the question. From now on you're know to me as a "Pro Sonic Excellence" guy.

Best regards,
    Ed

I like Lynn's analogy of the discrete character of the digital mix vs. the "stew-like" character of the analog. This is exactly what I hear when comparing a CD(PCM) to an SACD (DSD) of the same track.

Re NEVE sounding bright. If you want to find out why feed a square wave thru the mic pre. You will see considerable ringing, overshoot and that will make any thing sound brighter by adding harmonics especially to female voices and usually makes strings sound more strident. In many cases this makes the rec sound better because of poor mic placement.
    Haven't heard any of the recent NEVE equipment this comment refers to the older (pre digital ) consoles.

John,

Interesting observation. I've not heard that before. Is that attributable to the transformers or the other electrical component choices?

I'll never forget one conversation that I had with Dan Kennedy during the first Pre CD listening event. He asked for a list of my favorite consoles. After I listed them, he said "Oh, you like a lot of iron in your signal path." It seems all of them, in addition to being primarily Class A discrete, had lots of transformers.

Originally posted by JOHN_HALL1:
    <STRONG>Re NEVE sounding bright. If you want to find out why feed a square wave thru the mic pre. You will see considerable ringing, overshoot and that will make any thing sound brighter by adding harmonics especially to female voices and usually makes strings sound more strident. In many cases this makes the rec sound better because of poor mic placement.
    Haven't heard any of the recent NEVE equipment this comment refers to the older (pre digital ) consoles.</STRONG>
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Actually that was ( and still is ) a problem with many pre's with xfmrs. Unfornatuly many designers reduced this problem by putting an R/C network on the secondary. It did reduce the ringing but caused lots of hifreq phase shift. I must admit doing that in some of my early designs. By doing that it probably accounts for the so called warm sound that people refer to in some amps. By going to a lower turns ratio and higher Q iron (super u80 ) I reduced this problem starting with the 1970's SPHERE consoles. A network is still needed but with much higher R and lower C values. Also using mica caps. Ed Reichenbach and I worked out an input xfmr by both math and trying diff. winding methods around 1972. It is still being made by his son Tom. It was used in the QUAD 8 Mitsubichi consoles in the 80's. Reichenbach supplied xfmrs to Jensen for many years. They had Jensen by Reichenbach on the lables.

HI. I just want to point out that stock ne*e 8078 consoles use class AB amplifiers, not the more desirable class A. Of course, even the factory built bigger-sized 8078 frames than the earlier class A models. Thanks.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast