Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What Lynn learned from all this

I just found this site and have read the comments with great interest. I experienced an interesting thing: Yesterday I stopped by a clothing store where the proprietor had a boom box turned up fairly loud. The music was fast paced with some really good drumming. The problem was though it sounded fairly well mixed I was uncomfortable with it but couldn’t put my finger on the reason why. Being a drummer I thought it might be that the drums were a little too far forward in the mix but then I decided that wasn’t necessarily the case. After reading this article and all of the posts I’m convinced that it was probably recorded and mixed with Pro Tools. The whole recording sounded flat, lifeless and absolutely “In-Your-Face.” This could have been a result of over compression but that didn’t seem to bee what I was hearing. It seemed to lack body, depth and reality. It sounded artificial but not like a drum machine. More like Dan Kennedy’s analogy: “. . . taking a beautiful 35mm film, running it through a video editor and then making a release print of that” I could be mistaken but I’d bet I’m right.
    Ears lookin' @ U

Sorry, I did this wrong

Lynn wrote
    The other biggest challenge was the reverb. I could NOT match the two no matter how hard I tried. This baffled me. When I would match the reverb levels for the loudest parts of the mix, then the PT mix would have too little on the softest parts. When I matched it on the soft parts, like the opening, then the loud sections of the PT Mix just seemed swimmy. I went back and forth between just right, too wet, too dry, too wet, so many times that I finally gave up. I could not match the Neve mix on the reverb.

I don't know what to think about that fact. Is it the low level resolution in the PT mix that actually absorbs or diminishes the reverb tails when they are soft? I am baffled and want to do more research concerning this. Conclusion: I cannot make an identical mix in Neve and PT.
    I think it's dither in a big way!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Thom View Post
    So let me pose a question.

Since this CD is no longer available and out for production would it be considered immoral, illegal or unethical to have someone make a copy of theirs for someone else?
    Just noticed this question and the PT vs. Neve CD is still available from the webstore linked below in my sig.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Has it really been 10 years since I did this test? Wow.

The files are still available for download here for $5.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...7529753b095fab
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Question, Lynn. What monitors were you using then? You mentioned in your evaluation you were never surprised at your mixes when you heard them elsewhere. Just curious if you still have/like those monitors since I'm sure that's my next issue to address.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by QNote View Post
    Question, Lynn. What monitors were you using then? You mentioned in your evaluation you were never surprised at your mixes when you heard them elsewhere. Just curious if you still have/like those monitors since I'm sure that's my next issue to address.
    My Tannoy DMT-10s. I still use them now. They "suit me."
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345