Thread: Sounded ok in the car

Default Sounded ok in the car

How do you get your mix and levels to work on small speakers.

What I mix and levels sound ok in the car but are lacking when put up on myspace or are dumbed down to mp3.

I understand the losses with mp3 but other engineers seem to still get a good sound even on mp3 and small computer speakers.

If you would take a listen and see maybe I am expecting to much from the musicians to sound better as well. Can't pin point my problem.
    http://www.myspace.com/abbeyvilleroad

Thanks for your insight,

I've got a set of line outs from the board/interface routed to a cheap boom box with line inputs. I usually listen on the two main sets of monitors and then go there for the final check.

It's not perfect, but it does give me a good sense of what it's going to sound like once all the life has been sucked out of it...
    Authorized dealer for Audient, Avenson, JZ, Metric Halo, Milab, Nevaton and Violet Design
    Come visit us at BIG PURPLE DOG

Jim, Confessions sounded pretty good on my Bose computer speakers until the vocals entered, they were a bit down on the entrance, but seemed to pick up later.

What are you specifically hearing as lacking?

What monitors are you mixing on?

Wow that myspace mp3 is not good, this is a little better listening source
    here:

http://iacmusic.com/songs.aspx?SongI...rtistID=125526

Bill, The mix is not turning me on and I can't figure out what is wrong. Lack of experience using compressors on vocals.

My ears are tuned to acoustic jazz so when I get a singer that is singing pop I am not really sure I am carving out a place for the vocalist.

The instruments sound next to her not wrapped around her.

Monitors are Roland DS-90

thanks for your help!

Jim, check out Bob Olhsson’s comments in this thread on PSW:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/ind...8119/#msg_8792

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson
    Quote Originally Posted by Augustine Leudar wrote on Fri, 23 December 2005 09:18
    Although generally disliked or years NS10s were the industry standard monitors allowing studios to reference on the same gear worldwide.
    This is not at all why people ever used NS-10s!
    It's all about the three-way relationship between full-range mains, real world speakers and NS-10s.

They remain a standard quite simply because they work very well as a reference point for OTHER speakers exactly as JBL 4310s and Auratones did before them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson
    Quote Originally Posted by Augustine Leudar
    ...Yes I know, if its sounds good on ns10s itll sound good on anything etc etc however...
    That isn't true at all. If it sounds good on NS-10s AND the others you stand half a chance of being within a range that can be easily compensated in mastering.

You can't isolate the NS-10 from being just one point of reference within the context of a mixer's home listening setup, some of the better control room mains and the full range speakers today's top mastering engineers use. Nobody good has ever just mixed on NS-10s and then trusted on faith that everything is always going to sound great. Great mixers almost always check out their mixes in a wide variety of listening environments. Monitors are chosen by the RESULTS, not by how pleasing they sound in the control room.
    It seems that, while there are some people who work mainly on one pair of monitors, being able to compare mixes on a few different type monitors is a more favored approach.

I tend to use speakers that are both affordable and have an established track record with higher profile mixing engineers. Until I have more experience I feel this is that safest approach.

Jim, I didn't mean that to sound like an NS10 ad. The main point is I would have at least three set of monitors, something tiny, in the Auratone class, something mid sized like NS10's or some small KRK's or Tannoys, and some decent sized-12" two or three way's for higher level monitoring and tracking.
    The tiny speakers seem to be more revealing for things like vocal levels.

And no matter what I do in terms of speakers or room treatment I still make mix decisions based on my crappy car stereo.

But please see my signature, and take my opinions with a big block of salt.

Bill thanks for all the great information, I forgot I had this thread going.

I set up a small pair of Bose (home stereo type), small pc ext. speakers, JBL IONS, it does help especially for getting the eq on the bass and drums to hear it with smaller speakers.

She was using an sm7 that I had to remind her to stay up and close to.

tnx,
    -jim
    Last edited by Jim Easton; 02-17-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Jim, glad it helped.

Love that Artist Award, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Urick View Post
    Jim, glad it helped.

Love that Artist Award, BTW.
    Thanks Bill, I got that artist in 1980 w/case for about $1100 now I see some going for $8k. I wish I would have bought two...