Thread: Professional Opinion

Default Professional Opinion

Hey everyone,

First of all I'd like to say how much I love the forum; I've learned so much from reading all the threads on a daily basis over the past months. Thanks so much to Lynn for allowing me to join 3db, and to all of you for your expertise. I should state that I'm a total amateur recording engineer, which I hope you'll keep in mind...

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some feedback on recent recordings I've done; the excerpted clips are on this website:

http://music.fsu.edu/percussion/sounds.htm

The first three are from my teaching studio (I didn't record the last two listed on the site); chain is Earthworks TC-20 stereo pair overhead roughly ORTF with two AKG C-3000B about 10 feet in front of the Earthworks mics and off to the R and L about ten feet, all four mics hard-panned R and L. Interface/preamp Motu 8pre into Adobe Audition 2.0. Only effects are noise floor reduction and light reverb.

Please don't laugh at the gear ; I constantly read about the stuff I'd like to have some day but for our purposes and budget I think it works really well (recording lessons, master classes, podcasts, rehearsals, etc.).

Thank you in advance to anyone who will check them out and give me some feedback. And Happy New Year to you all! JP
    John W. Parks IV, DMA
    Associate Professor of Percussion
    The Florida State University
    http://www.johnparkspercussion.com

Hello from a fellow Furman alum! Your clips sound good-- compelling without a total "in your face" sound.

My only suggestions are to not separate your AKG close-in mics so much because I hear a "hole-in-the-middle" rather than each instrument having an appropriate sonic width.

You also might experiment with swapping the positions of the Earthworks (better mics by a large margin) and AKG. Position them equidistant from the intruments (probably they are in an arc) with a 2-ft separation. Place the AKG further back in a genuine ORTF. I do not know the AKG-- they MIGHT work better looking 180 degrees into the room-- IF the room is larger than it sounds. Did you try one pair only?

Less expensive mics reveal their true character most readily with percussive sounds in my experience-- hence the idea to use only the Earthworks. And as for your chain-- in classical (which is really what you are doing) 90% of the sound is the mics.

If you will drop me an email at "richmays AT comcast DOT net" I'll send a recent perc and clarinet clip you might find interesting.

Rich
    Rich Mays
    309 Gloucester Rd
    Savannah GA 31410
    912-484-8451
    www.sonarerecordings.com

Default Professional Opinion

Rich,

Email en route-thank you so much! I'll try these approaches this next week, and would also like to try the Decca thing I described to see if it fills that hole.
    John W. Parks IV, DMA

The image could be more solid. One of the most difficult things to do in our profession is mic placement. It's even harder with inexpensive microphones! There are a couple of really informative books, my favorite being Ron Streiker/Alton Everest's Handbook.
    Then comes perspective added into the pot. A good rule for any accoustic ensemble is to get the best sound (balance within the ensemble, then ratio of room sound to ensemble) you can with a well placed stereo pair. Then use spot mics to add what is missing. Keep recording and experimenting!
    Don Spaulding
    Symphonic Sound
    WWW.SYMPHONICSOUND.COM

Thanks, Don--and Rich and Bill for your expertise! I have another attempt from a rehearsal Thursday. If you don't mind, go to the same page and click on "Quick Blood." Upgraded some mics from our concert hall engineers (we have DPA mics in our four concert halls) and used AKG 414 spots instead of the C3000B. It's just about 40 seconds, but I think the image is more clear.

And I don't have a crane for that humongous contraption recording the Blue Stars (Shostakovich 10), Jecklyn-Schmecklyn post, which I loved!

Thoughts?

www.music.fsu.edu/percussion/sounds.htm

Thanks so much to all who have listened so far!

You can imagine how much the students enjoy having all of their lessons recorded like this--I convert them to mp3 files and put them on jump drives.

JP
    John W. Parks IV, DMA

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Thanks, Don--and Rich and Bill for your expertise! I have another attempt from a rehearsal Thursday. If you don't mind, go to the same page and click on "Quick Blood." Upgraded some mics from our concert hall engineers (we have DPA mics in our four concert halls) and used AKG 414 spots instead of the C3000B. It's just about 40 seconds, but I think the image is more clear.

And I don't have a crane for that humongous contraption recording the Blue Stars (Shostakovich 10), Jecklyn-Schmecklyn post, which I loved!
    There are much smaller (smaller than a car) Jecklin disks that you can buy. We've discussed it here before, if you want to consider that option. I've never used one myself.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Id be glad to loan one of my Jecklins too..
    - on the level...

luxaeternaaudio@gmail.com