Thread: sm7 & sm57 -- A/B comparison

Default sm7 & sm57 -- A/B comparison

there seems to be much interest in the sm7 versus sm57 lately, so before a tracking session the other day I threw down some files of me switching back and forth between the 2 on the console mutes.

The chain for both was Neve 1073 (no eq) thru a Trident 80B on the insert return input to allow for bussing & combining at the console.

To be fair the mics were on 2 different speakers of a Bogner cabinet, but were positioned on the same point on their respective speakers...

On the files, I'm switching back and forth on the mutes going to the PT input so play them in mono and the one track will mute when the other begins playing...

http://www.toddro.com/page6/page6.html
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

the sm7 sounds great a little more beef with its Proximity Effect

It almost sounds like a 122 and a 57 together...

Thanks for posting the comparison. Interesting. I like your basic guitar sound very much, I wish more folks understood crunch vs. gain like that... I wouldn't hesitate to keep either track.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Thanks for posting the comparison. Interesting. I like your basic guitar sound very much, I wish more folks understood crunch vs. gain like that... I wouldn't hesitate to keep either track.
    Thanks - Fender Twin to Bogner cab. I can' remember which guitar he was playing at the time, but no pedals - just straight to the amp.

In the track we ended up blending the sm57 with a Royer to add in some bottom anytime we went the the sm57 tone. The sm7 got a touch of the magic 1073 3k boost or a touch of the top shelf depending on where it needed to sit - and all the mics got a touch of vintage 1176 compression, which is not being heard on the clips.

Anyway, hope someone finds them useful. Sometime this week I'll post a clip of the drum sound on that session which was achieved with only 4 mics thru Daking Pre/eq's - now that I have finally figured out how to link audio clips to my website I'll be posting a bunch of stuff like this - that is if folks find it interesting / useful...

cheers,
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

Todd do you have advise for micing a stereo guitar cab?

When I stand in front of a roland jazz chorus amp the chorus sound is fantastic!
    When I play it back in the mix and try to spread L-R (mic from each speaker) the guitar sounds out of tune to me.

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Easton View Post

When I stand in front of a roland jazz chorus amp the chorus sound is fantastic!
    When I play it back in the mix and try to spread L-R (mic from each speaker) the guitar sounds out of tune to me.

Thanks for your help!
    I'm not Todd... but, maybe if you find the sweet spot for the tones and separation you want (with your ears) and move in a ORTF pair at that position in the room...? (I'm assuming you're presently micing the cab with close-in mics...)
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

Thanks for your help!
    Well... I would start by getting some mics where you are standing and liking the sound. They may serve as a nice room mic compliment to some close mics on the amp that would provide the "punch". I know the Sennheiser 409's sound fantastic on the JC120 if that is what you are using...
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Robbins View Post
    Well... I would start by getting some mics where you are standing and liking the sound. They may serve as a nice room mic compliment to some close mics on the amp that would provide the "punch". I know the Sennheiser 409's sound fantastic on the JC120 if that is what you are using...
    Thanks for the tip, never tried the 409!

Your suggestion for a room mic in addition to close mic has given me an idea to maybe try MS a couple of feet out to capture the stereo chorus.

I have the 441 and 421 but I guess they are a different beast compared to the 409? Tnx...

I have the 441 and 421 but I guess they are a different beast compared to the 409? Tnx...
    yeah - the 409 is a totally different animal...
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com