Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Really hard to mix my own music

Default Really hard to mix my own music

I find it really hard to mix my bands music.

Could you please give some EQ and mix advise. This is just the melody minus the solos and strings. Thanks

1st mix:
    http://iacmusic.com/play2.aspx?songI...0Page%20Single

Suggestions implemented
    Remix:
    http://iacmusic.com/play2.aspx?songI...0Page%20Single

these are mp3
    Last edited by Jim Easton; 04-02-2009 at 12:24 AM.

feels really nice in my room. i hear 2 things:

1 - the kick feels a bit non-descript. i'd like to hear it a little tighter and a little punchier, but i don't know that it's a mix thing as much as it is a tuning thing. i can't tell... it just feels kinda 'there but not there'...

2 - the lead sax feels a bit loud and the verb seems a bit 'cheesy' for lack of a better term. the tone could be a little sweeter too - kinda sounds like it needs an LA2A or a some tube eq on it to sweeten it a bit and set it into the track, whereas now it kinda sits on top of the track and feels stark. also, a sweeter sounding verb will help with that as well...

that's all i got. hth,
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Robbins View Post
    feels really nice in my room. i hear 2 things:

1 - the kick feels a bit non-descript. i'd like to hear it a little tighter and a little punchier, but i don't know that it's a mix thing as much as it is a tuning thing. i can't tell... it just feels kinda 'there but not there'...

2 - the lead sax feels a bit loud and the verb seems a bit 'cheesy' for lack of a better term. the tone could be a little sweeter too - kinda sounds like it needs an LA2A or a some tube eq on it to sweeten it a bit and set it into the track, whereas now it kinda sits on top of the track and feels stark. also, a sweeter sounding verb will help with that as well...

that's all i got. hth,
    1 Todd I really failed at trying a mic on the beater side. I loved the sound you got doing it that way. I ended up scraping the beater mic because I ended up with more snare and other tones that didn't do the kic justice, I used an m88 which I normally use on the back head. What you hear now is a mic inside the drum which I don't know how to eq to bring out that tighter punch or get that sound you have. Is it tuning, maybe a different mic??? Normal kic mic's I have are the re20, 421, 441, sm7, m88, 57, lost from there...

2 I don't have an LA2A but would by using a Demeter tube pre on sax get it any closer to what you are wanting to hear out of the track?

Got to get a better verb unit for sure.

Thanks, any hints on dialing in the kic with what I have for mic's or eq would be very much appreciated-!!

Thx, Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Easton View Post
    1 Todd I really failed at trying a mic on the beater side. I loved the sound you got doing it that way. I ended up scraping the beater mic because I ended up with more snare and other tones that didn't do the kic justice, I used an m88 which I normally use on the back head. What you hear now is a mic inside the drum which I don't know how to eq to bring out that tighter punch or get that sound you have. Is it tuning, maybe a different mic??? Normal kic mic's I have are the re20, 421, 441, sm7, m88, 57, lost from there...

2 I don't have an LA2A but would by using a Demeter tube pre on sax get it any closer to what you are wanting to hear out of the track?

Got to get a better verb unit for sure.

Thanks, any hints on dialing in the kic with what I have for mic's or eq would be very much appreciated-!!

Thx, Todd
    just to be clear, I was mic'ing inside the kick drum, so when I say I was "x" inches away from the beater, that is from the inside of the drum with the mic pointing at the beater. I like the m88, sm7, 421, and re20 for kick. Any of those should get you what you need.

Start about 6 inches off the beater (mic inside the kick drum) and about half-way between the beater and the floor tom side of the shell (the floor tom side always seems to work better for some reason). If you need more attack, cheat the mic more toward the center, and if you need more bottom end try moving it either closer or farther away from the beater head until you find the sweet spot.

But make sure the drum is tuned well to begin with...

hth,
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

just to be clear, I was mic'ing inside the kick drum, so when I say I was "x" inches away from the beater, that is from the inside of the drum with the mic pointing at the beater. I like the m88, sm7, 421, and re20 for kick. Any of those should get you what you need.

Start about 6 inches off the beater (mic inside the kick drum) and about half-way between the beater and the floor tom side of the shell (the floor tom side always seems to work better for some reason). If you need more attack, cheat the mic more toward the center, and if you need more bottom end try moving it either closer or farther away from the beater head until you find the sweet spot.

But make sure the drum is tuned well to begin with...

hth,
    Now I feel really stupid.

Thanks for sticking with me through that Dah" moment. Now that placement all makes sense-!! Can't wait to try it... Hope you don't mind if I post again after we record to check that... Helped a lot

Tnx

Now I feel really stupid.

Thanks for sticking with me through that Dah" moment. Now that placement all makes sense-!! Can't wait to try it... Hope you don't mind if I post again after we record to check that... Helped a lot

Tnx
    That m88 might sound nice placed about 2" off the hole on the front head of the kick...
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

That m88 might sound nice placed about 2" off the hole on the front head of the kick...

Dumb question: which way should the hole in the head be turned since it is cut in off center and the mic will be placed 2" outside the hole? Thanks for your patients and advise.

He normally uses an uncut head and that could be put back on if that would be better?

Tnx

Thoughts.

Move the EG somewhere else in the L<|>R spectrum. It's competing with the sax.

The sax is just too loud. Too much sub on the kick.

The performances feel fine.

Can I be blunt? I'm hoping you want constructive criticism instead of just strokes. If you don't, then stop reading now.

Everything just feels too close. I keep thinking I'd turn down the cymbals, and the guitar, and the sax, and the snare and the kick, and....

It's got what I call "the equidistant disease." It feels like everything is 4" from your face. That feels unnatural to me.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    Thoughts.

Move the EG somewhere else in the L<|>R spectrum. It's competing with the sax.

The sax is just too loud. Too much sub on the kick.

The performances feel fine.

Can I be blunt? I'm hoping you want constructive criticism instead of just strokes. If you don't, then stop reading now.

Everything just feels too close. I keep thinking I'd turn down the cymbals, and the guitar, and the sax, and the snare and the kick, and....

It's got what I call "the equidistant disease." It feels like everything is 4" from your face. That feels unnatural to me.

Desperately want the advise!

"Too Close" as in the mic's are to close to the instrument or I have mix vol. up to loud?

"the equidistant disease."

Just wondering because I have everyone together in a 20x30 room, I am so worried about bleed that I might have the mic's placed close out of fear?!? Does it sound that way as well?

Maybe the guitar panned off to one side instead of split both L-R, out of the sax way?

Tnx, Lynn!

Desperately want the advise!

"Too Close" as in the mic's are to close to the instrument or I have mix vol. up to loud?
    Good question. Everything feels the same distance/volume. It's like looking at a photo when it's 3" from your nose.

Some mixes I refer to as having the depth of a piece of cardboard. Like the mix is a posterboard suspended between the two speakers. There's left and right but everything is flat and equidistant.

Honestly, not everything is equally important. Everything doesn't need to be in the foreground. The cymbals shouldn't be as loud as the sax. It's just a matter of perspective and balance. I'm not sure how else to communicate it.

Think of Where's Waldo compared to the Mona Lisa. In the Mona Lisa, there's a central spotlight and you absorb that and then continue to look at other features. In Where's Waldo, you're lost. It's all competing for your attention at the same time and your eye has no idea where to look.

That's a wild analogy I know. This is so nebulous that I can't imagine I'm helping.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast