Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Really hard to mix my own music

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN, USA
    Posts
    27,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Easton View Post
    Jim,

    The snare moved hard right. Recall hiccup, I suspect.

    Better overall. The rumble in the kick still distracts me. It's not "playing well" with the bass. Sax level is better. Guitar still feels like it's crowding the center and the sax, but its level is goo.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

    Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    1,767

    Default

    Thanks Lynn, I might redo the guitar using a nylon string and see if that sits beater in the track. The steel string tone annoys me at this point. The sax is going to be redone as well. Kind of liking the r84 on sax but sounds a little nasal to me. I might record sax 2nd round with u87 alone in the room.

    Anyway please feel free to be gut level honest I am really enjoying the feedback knowing I can learn something and grow!

  3. #23
    Troy Baldwin's Avatar
    Troy Baldwin is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '12
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    1,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    but its level is goo.
    I've never seen it put that way before. I may use that term in the future, if you don't mind.
    AD9 Audio Services
    ad9audio.com

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN, USA
    Posts
    27,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Easton View Post
    Thanks Lynn, I might redo the guitar using a nylon string and see if that sits beater in the track. The steel string tone annoys me at this point. The sax is going to be redone as well. Kind of liking the r84 on sax but sounds a little nasal to me. I might record sax 2nd round with u87 alone in the room.

    Anyway please feel free to be gut level honest I am really enjoying the feedback knowing I can learn something and grow!
    Did you say gut? I can do that.

    The guitar tone bothered me as well. The sax sound, on the other hand, does not. Feel free to experiment but I don't hear anything wrong with the sax performance or the sound (speaking as a listener, not a producer at the moment). If you think the R84 sounds nasal, the 87 might surprise you. Try it and get back with us.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

    Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    1,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    Did you say gut? I can do that.

    The guitar tone bothered me as well. The sax sound, on the other hand, does not. Feel free to experiment but I don't hear anything wrong with the sax performance or the sound (speaking as a listener, not a producer at the moment). If you think the R84 sounds nasal, the 87 might surprise you. Try it and get back with us.
    Surprise me?!? Oh no, you mean like More Nasally then the 84???

    Gut level... OK me thinks

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    1,019

    Default

    I catch a hint of what Jim is describing as "nasal". It's really not enough to detract from the quality. But it is there. I think that I am only aware of it because I play soprano a lot, and have done quite a few soprano recordings on my R84/dav recently.

    One of the reasons I am looking for a "darker" sounding mouthpiece these days is due to the fact that I do catch just a slight hint of raspiness/nasality on my own soprano. I guess it's my own "analog" way of countering what I perceive to be an inheirant potential problem of recording the instrument.

    It's nothing to do with the mic/pre IMHO. A lot of those sounds just come from the instrument itself (especially on the upper register) from what I can tell, and the mic/pre are just recording some things that are already there.

    I did find that those aforementioned eq dips really did help when I was mixing soprano. I was really able to deemphasize whatever I felt to be nasal in my own personal takes without adversely affecting the sound. In fact, I don't think adding some of that extra "sparkle" in the mastering would have been as great in the high freq range had I not deemphasized the soprano in mixing. I tried two mixes for experimentation a while back: One with normal uneqed soprano/ the other with the dips. I Bounced them to two track. Tried adding a small high shelf for sparkle. The end result? In The unEQ'ed 2 track ,the soprano file really became fatiguing,to my ear, even with just a subtle amount of highshelf The track bounced from the EQ/trimmed soprano maintained an easy listening quality with just that added touch of shimmer. Of course, YMMV.
    Last edited by musical charities; 04-01-2009 at 09:05 PM.
    "Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." --Henry Van Dyke

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN, USA
    Posts
    27,246

    Default

    If you do recut the sax, put up both mics so you can have an option and decide later. Yes, if you think the R84 is nasally, the 87 will climb up your nose.

    Move the R84 closer to the horn if you want a fuller sound.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

    Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    1,019

    Default

    Maybe another suggestion if you aren't doing it already is to try using the rear (-) side of the R84 if you aren't already. I like it better this way personally.
    "Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." --Henry Van Dyke

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    1,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    If you do recut the sax, put up both mics so you can have an option and decide later. Yes, if you think the R84 is nasally, the 87 will climb up your nose.

    Move the R84 closer to the horn if you want a fuller sound.
    If you spread out your hand and touch the mic with your little finger and your thumb touches the horn is how close I place him now, whether he moved in fear of maybe hitting the mic, I didn't check after we started playing.

    Tnx for heads up I would been embarrassed to call sax player in and then play that back. Do you have any favs on soprano?

    Like Musical C. I did use the hpf on the DAV going in. I guess I could scoop out some of the mids with eq but I hate messing with his tone.

    I'll fix the guitar and see how it sounds then with the horn.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    1,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by musical charities View Post
    I catch a hint of what Jim is describing as "nasal". It's really not enough to detract from the quality. But it is there. I think that I am only aware of it because I play soprano a lot, and have done quite a few soprano recordings on my R84/dav recently.

    One of the reasons I am looking for a "darker" sounding mouthpiece these days is due to the fact that I do catch just a slight hint of raspiness/nasality on my own soprano. I guess it's my own "analog" way of countering what I perceive to be an inheirant potential problem of recording the instrument.

    It's nothing to do with the mic/pre IMHO. A lot of those sounds just come from the instrument itself (especially on the upper register) from what I can tell, and the mic/pre are just recording some things that are already there.

    I did find that those aforementioned eq dips really did help when I was mixing soprano. I was really able to deemphasize whatever I felt to be nasal in my own personal takes without adversely affecting the sound. In fact, I don't think adding some of that extra "sparkle" in the mastering would have been as great in the high freq range had I not deemphasized the soprano in mixing. I tried two mixes for experimentation a while back: One with normal uneqed soprano/ the other with the dips. I Bounced them to two track. Tried adding a small high shelf for sparkle. The end result? In The unEQ'ed 2 track ,the soprano file really became fatiguing,to my ear, even with just a subtle amount of highshelf The track bounced from the EQ/trimmed soprano maintained an easy listening quality with just that added touch of shimmer. Of course, YMMV.


    His soprano sometimes sounds like an oboe. Don't get me wrong I like the combination of the DAV and r84 that was what was used here, I just may try something different looking for the golden nugget.
    Last edited by Jim Easton; 04-02-2009 at 12:23 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •