Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mixtravaganza Spring '09

Its a catchy tune. I've been working on it for about 3 hours now. So I'll probably be humming it the rest of the day.

Did you do the arrangement as well? Are you playing on this? How about a few (non-mixing) details?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMusicFactory View Post
    All of the soundtrack was released in October '08, this song being one of the 16 or 17 tracks.
    Of course you'll post the original released mix along with our submissions right? I'd like to hear it even if there is an audience track behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplayer View Post
    Did you do the arrangement as well? Are you playing on this? How about a few (non-mixing) details?
    Here's a few details:

> Written, arranged, produced & recorded by me. I wrote it about a year ago in preparation for Christmas '08. Music writing/sequencing/recording was done on & off from about Apr-June, then choir & lead vocal recording was done July-Aug. Took a while because I was working with volunteer vocalists at the church.

> Drums are BFD (hours & hours & hours & hours spent manually sequencing the drums... clicking one hit at a time, adjust velocity, adjust timing, etc)

> Piano is manually sequenced, just like the drums. Piano MIDI patched through Garritan Personal Orchestra Steinway. Fun times. It's a good solo piano but takes a little EQ to get it to sit with other instruments.

> Strings are GPO as well; again, manually sequenced.

> All percussion, guitars, bass played by me (except tambourine - those are cut & pasted hits from a different recording; didn't see the need to set mics up & spend time doing what I could do in a few minutes).

In an ideal world, I MUCH rather would have had real drums, piano & strings, but the budget of the church did not allow for that.

Feel free to post any more questions. I'm answering as frequently as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Of course you'll post the original released mix along with our submissions right? I'd like to hear it even if there is an audience track behind it.
    Original mix, no prob; I'll be submitting another remix along with you all as well.

I'll have to get the live recordings and see how those came out. The live performances were done with the instrumental including prerecorded choir... this is a tiny church- about 200 members, so the room did not allow for a gigantic choir during the performances.

Anyway, I'll see what I can find. Whatever it is will be smooshed to death- stereo mix out of the board into a digital recorder. I'll probably post something on my site & stick a link here for anyone who wants to hear.

Okay I just caught a mistake I made-

On the Alto 1 track after the piano solo/bridge, the 1st Altos come in with the "Ho-ly, ho-ly, Prince of Peace" etc. Both of those "Holy, Holy"s should be removed and only be in the mix after the split choir + key change break. The only sung part for the 1st Altos before the key change are the words "Prince of Peace" and "King of Kings".

Make sense?

I have sent my mix to you via e-mail. Thanks for letting us have a crack at it. BTW I love the song!!!
    Michael Rogers
    (3D VIP Member)
    DeskTop Productions

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rogers View Post
    I have sent my mix to you via e-mail. Thanks for letting us have a crack at it. BTW I love the song!!!
    I'm assuming you sent it to Jim... nothing showed up in my email inbox.

I've not seen it either...
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

I just sent mine to the Poorhouse Productions address via yousendit.com. Let me know if you get this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplayer View Post
    I just sent mine to the Poorhouse Productions address via yousendit.com. Let me know if you get this one.
    Got it.

I think my mix is done, too, so I'll start posting them up.
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast