Thread: Critique and Comments Welcome

Default Critique and Comments Welcome

This is the umpteenth mix of something recorded last summer with the sig.other on piano and a former student (piano, not voice) singing. I think it was a terrific performance but I haven't been able to quite do it justice, although this is the closest I've come so far. So in the hope of doing a better job next time around, I'm offering it for critique.

http://pecunianonolet.com/Audio/ItNe...eredMyMind.mp3

Details of mics, etc. available if anybody asks.
    3dB supporter through the 3dB VIP Program, 2010.

Very dreamy and the mix matches the ambiance of the tune. No problems but I would have liked to heard the vocalist with a warm tube mic or pre, very nice performance and capture though!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Easton View Post
    Very dreamy and the mix matches the ambiance of the tune. No problems but I would have liked to heard the vocalist with a warm tube mic or pre, very nice performance and capture though!
    Thanks. The vocalist's mic was the stalwart R84 going through an RNP, BTW.

One of the things I don't like about this mix is that it's a little too dreamy, i.e., too much reverb. Musically, there's a sharp edge of regret in the tune, so I don't want it to sound too lush, but I can never find the right spot (dry the mix sounds chalk-on-blackboard horrific).

What a beautiful song and performance! I really liked the texture of the vocal. The R84 worked well.

The reverb is too much for me. It kind of reminded me of a backdrop in a movie where you hear live music in the background of a dialog between actors.

I think you're losing a bit of the intimacy of the performance. I think you all did a great job tracking this, I'd just recommend pulling back the ambience quite a bit.

It's a very nice track, though.

Steve

Might try leaving the piano where you have it in the ambient space. Pull the vocal out of it and add just a wee bit of delay to the vocal. Avoids the completely dry vocal sound without being too dreamy.

might work, might not.
    W

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try both, see what seems to work.

If I can't decide, I'll post 'em both. I'm still learning this stuff, and I appreciate the critique. I know it's not what it could be, but I don't know exactly what I'm aiming for.

Very natural vocal sound, perfect for this style of music. But I think you have to cut at 230Hz with 6dB, 1 oct; 3dB cut at 1200Hz and boost some hi-shelf from 2.5kHz (2-3dB). It can be heard easily. Analyzer shows it too.
    Last edited by tanov; 01-07-2011 at 02:31 PM.