Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mixtravaganza Spring '09 Mixes!

Icon14 Mixtravaganza Spring '09 Mixes!

If you have not submitted your mix, but plan to, don't listen to the links below just yet

Below, find the mixes, in order submitted to me, of our members here at 3dB participating in this Mixtravaganza. (I'll update this thread as posts come in).

Use this thread to ask any of the mixing engineers any questions about their approach or how they did something.

Last edited by Jim Dugger; 05-13-2009 at 02:16 PM.
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

Any critiques yet? I'm interested to see what each of you thinks of each other's mixes.

I don't think I am ready to critque any of the other mixes just yet but I will make some comments about my mix. First of all, I would like to thank David for the opportunity to mix his tracks. I think the composition and execution was exceptional and thoroughly enjoyed mixing and listening to the song. Also, thanks to Jim for administering this Mixtravaganza. This was fun.

As far as my mix goes, I think I got a bit of tunnel vision because I really felt like this song should be performed in a church (or auditorium or large building) and therefore opted to provide some ambiance. I know it's not currently trendy to do so but I did it anyway and, for the most part, I was satisfied with it.

Items of note:

Drums: I had some trouble getting the snare to sound like I wanted and in fact never really got it there (too much of the room for me). I considered using Sound Replacer to replace the snare with a bit drier one but in the end I did not. I did not use the room mics or the piezos tracks at all. I did use the overheads because I could not get the toms (in particular) to sound like I wanted without the overheads. I did not add any reverb to the Drums submix, but I did blend a compressed submix with the uncompressed drum submix. (I did use some reverb on the Master 2 track to try and glue the drums to the rest of the tracks).

Vocals: For the most part, I thought the vocals were recorded well and just added some slight compression and EQ (air mostly) to the lead vocals. I didn't do anything to the rest of the vocals except set the levels. However, the first male lead vocal track sounded like there were two different vocalists on that track or at least a section that was recorded differently so I pulled part of this track onto a new track so I could treat it differently. I admit, I could have spent more time with the male vocals automating levels to get them to sound better.

Guitars: I didn't do much except set levels and use a tape sim plug on them. I did use volume automation and some delay on the lead guitar.

Pianos: Brightened up the acoustic piano and set level. I only set the level on the electric piano.

Strings: Set levels. Brightened (EQ) up the violins.

Misc Percussion: Set levels only.

Bass: Compressed a bit and set levels. I think I may have also used Waves RenBass to bring in some harmonics.

Stereo Master Buss: Used the following Plugs - McDSP AC-1 (SSL sim), PSP Neon HR EQ, Bomb Factory MC77 comp, DUY Wide (stereo image), PSP sQuad classic console EQ, TL Space verb, and PSP Vintage Warmer 2 comp/limit.

I did sample rate conversion and dithering in Sound Forge 9.

General Comments: I mixed this song in PTLE 8. I can hear some things I don't like after the SF treatment that are not audible in PTLE 8.

Again, I think this is a great song, was performed well, and was a pleasure to mix.

I can e-mail my PT session file to anyone that may want to see exactly what I did.

Any and all suggestions and critisism welcome. After all, the Mixtravaganza is about learning from others as well as appreciating differing perspectives on the same song.

Thanks David for writing/composing this wonderful music and making it available to us to mix. And thanks Jim for handling and posting the tracks/mixes.

Greg

Hi Greg,

I liked your mix. You progressed the intensity as the song went on, which I thought was appropriate. I liked the sound you got out of the lead vocals. The distorted rhythm guitar that came in during the male lead vocal was intense. Something I didn't think about when I did my version. Hearing yours, I see where you were coming from. Overall, I think it was a great mix. There were only two spots that didn't work for me. One was at the end of the piano intro. You left in the metronome bleed in one of the vocal tracks. The other was a break at around 5:47 in which the lead guitar has this echo that to me, is out of place. Other than those two spots, I thought it was very good.

It's a bit hard for me to comment on other mixes since I did one myself. I'm a bit biased on the choices I made (otherwise, I wouldn't have made them, lol). I hope we get feedback from folks that can objectively picture themselves as the client. That would be enlightening.

Good mix, Greg.

Thanks,
    Steve

Steve,

I did not clean any of the tracks so the metronome at the beginning of the first and second Alto tracks (end of the first piano solo) is there for sure. I heard it but was just lazy and left it in. I think the lead guitar echo you are referring to might actually be the guitarist quickly sliding down the strings at the end of the lead. I agree that it is a bit out of place. I actually heard this kind of thing in at least one other place where a lead was ending. The reason I left it in is because I thought the guitarist played it intentionally. I will listen to it again.

I appreciate your taking the time to listen to my mix and commenting.

Thanks,
    Greg

Default Jim Dugger's mix

I like this mix a lot, Jim. I thought both cuts at the beginning and end worked really well. It sounded like you cleaned up some tails here and there too which tightened things up nicely. Bass and kick works good together. Nice build through the song. You left the tail of that same gtr part I mentioned earlier to Greg. I'm starting to think I might have been the only one that thought that needed "fixing".

I enjoyed your mix.

Best,
    Steve

Thanks for the comments. I'll try and go through what I did and post that up in a couple of days.

I spent an enormous amount of time getting the drum sound right, and then getting the ensemble "in the same room" without making it wet.

I can't stand wet.
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

Just listened and made notes on all seven versions. Nice job everyone. It's interesting to hear the different approaches starting with the same raw materials.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

What... no post-up?
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

I wondered if I should offer some thoughts. Not really fair since I'm not participating. Unless someone wants to hear them.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast