Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mixtravaganza Spring '09 Mixes!

I do.
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    I wondered if I should offer some thoughts. Not really fair since I'm not participating. Unless someone wants to hear them.

I do.

I do too.
    Dick Cox

Yes!

Where do I download the files from? I'll try a mix on it...
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Robbins View Post
    Where do I download the files from? I'll try a mix on it...
    Here they are.

best regards
    Andreas Lassak
    SoundDesign Studio

It's maddening: As soon as I make it right - it suddenly works!

Should I just make general comments or should I break it down by mixer? I'll be honest but I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. All my observations would be aimed toward making each mix better.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

My skin is pretty thick. So, at least for mine, go for it.
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

Let me first make one general comment that I found to be true for all the mixes. I'm going to talk about concept and forget about sounds for the moment. (As an engineer, can I do that?)

You've heard me talk about "spotlight" before. (I hope.) It's the concept that, using a theatrical/live performance analogy, there should be one spotlight so that the viewer/listener knows what/who to look at or listen to.

Additionally, a mixer has to consider the brightness of that spotlight. (I was a spot operator in college using carbon arc spots where you can adjust the intensity of the light.) We've all seen spotlights on a performer where the rest of the stage is dark so you really can't even tell what else is on stage. And sometimes the spotlight is turned on but is so dim and the stage is so bright that you can't really tell where the soloist is on stage. Ever watch a live performance and someone takes a solo and you look around on the stage trying to figure out who it is but there's no visual delineation between them and everybody else? That's one example of what I'm talking about.

The one thing that many (most) of these mixes had in common was an uncertain spotlight. It's the way that the listener is guided through the song. Frequently the harmony vocal (on duet parts) was louder than the Lead Vocalist. Sometimes the choir was singing and everything else should have been supporting them, but they had no spotlight which leaves the mix sounding unfocused and uncertain. When the choir takes over the spotlight from the soloist, they shouldn't sound like background vocals. They need to come up and demand your attention. When the soloist takes over from the choir, he shouldn't sound like he's on the back row. He should come up front and center.

Pointer #1: The best way to figure out what has the spotlight (what will be the focus of attention) is to turn the volume down, way way down. As the softer parts start to disappear, you'll realize what is the loudest and has the spotlight. You can use a small speaker to help with this as well. Try this technique with some of these mixes and see what you're left with. Just as an listening exercise.

There are other balances I'll comment on further in future posts (I'm at the studio right now and away from my notes), but that was the one thing that really stuck out to me that all these had in common.

Now who do I need to talk to about all those singers singing major thirds while the band is playing minor thirds? Drivin' me crazy.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Lassak View Post
    Here they are.

best regards
    ok cool - I missed the other thread and just found it. Thanks!
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast