Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mixtravaganza Spring '09 Mixes!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_M View Post
    David, I really like this composition and I listen to it every day - just because I like it that much. Nice work.
    I meant to mention that as well. I have found myself humming the tune several times. That's a good thing.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

I thought the timbre of the vocals was outstanding.
    If the listener comes away with only one impression, I would hope that would be it. If so, then I served the artist (choir/vocalists) well.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

pfo is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

I did a mix but then stupidly forgot to send it in before going out of town. I'll send it on in a couple weeks when we get back (before the deadline!)
    Pete F. Overton

David, I really like this composition and I listen to it every day - just because I like it that much. Nice work.
    Thanks, Greg & Lynn. It was fun to write and record and watch it all come together. There's another one similar to this that would be fun for another MixTrav later on.

For some odd reason, it never crossed my mind to clean up the tracks and do the appropriate edits before distributing all of the files in the beginning. I could have saved everyone a lot of time and I'm sure the mixes would have been different- not TONS different, but substantially different. This is probably the biggest thing I've learned from doing this.

Secondly, I realized the difference between knowing what I wrote/knew it should sound like VS what the end result was. I'm specifically speaking of the pitch correction Lynn pointed out that he had to do on the soprano track toward the end of the song. Although I was hitting record and hearing everything, what my ear heard was overpowered by what I knew it was supposed to be, so I didn't catch the 1/4-1/2 step sharp notes from the sopranos. Interesting, and it taught me a valuable lesson.

For future reference, I'll submit tracks EXACTLY as the production needs to happen - cleaned, tipped, tailed, uncompressed, un-eq'd (no comp or eq was on any of the tracks, fwiw), etc. Mixing is like giving ingredients to a chef- you can't expect the chef to spend unnecessary time grinding cocoa beans to make cocoa powder or churning cream to make milk. Dumb dumb dumb.

I'll shoot another mix to Jim ASAP with my new changes. Is it just me or is my mix super bright compared to the rest? I plan to bring the cymbals down, but it feels like my mix is jumping out of the monitors. Is that okay?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMusicFactory View Post
    ...This is probably the biggest thing I've learned from doing this.

...Interesting, and it taught me a valuable lesson.
    So long as you're learning, it's been a valuable exercise.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Quote Originally Posted by TheMusicFactory View Post
    For future reference, I'll submit tracks EXACTLY as the production needs to happen - cleaned, tipped, tailed, uncompressed, un-eq'd (no comp or eq was on any of the tracks, fwiw), etc.
    I'm not sure that's the lesson.

I think the important thing here is communicating your vision. What did you think this should sound like as a finished project? How did that impact how you tracked certain parts? And, so on.

If you were to retain me for a mix, that's the first conversation we would have. In the business consulting world, it's called "Discovery", and it serves for the consultant to understand your world as you see it, and have that knowledge of perspective on hand as he/she works on the project.

As a mixer, I don't mind getting tracks that need cleanup -- I think good-sounding editing is one thing I can bring to the table in a project. So, in this case, you would have communicated "Hey, the edits are raw and need work. I only did XXX to try and achieve the sound I was looking for, and XXX and XXX remain untouched. See what you can do with them."

That kind of conversation also help clue me in: What's important to you? You might care all day about the string pads and not the snare drum, and if we are working within a budget, unless I find something really, really wrong that deserves your attention, that's how I'll relatively allocate my time.

I'll also say I don't think it's necessarily bad to have done a little EQ or compression during tracking. Clearly nothing drastic, but sensible, tracking-time decision making that helps the project gel together best. This, btw, is another way you communicate your intentions to the mixer.
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

I spaced this out completely. Can I still play?
    Doug Joyce
    Animix Productions

Yes. Files are still hosted in the links in the other thread.
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

I also didn't mind the clean up. I do it on my own tracks.
    Michael Rogers
    (3D VIP Member)
    DeskTop Productions

Quote Originally Posted by animix View Post
    I spaced this out completely. Can I still play?
    It's on now Doug's in!

Hey Greg - I got your email of the drums only, but when I try to email you back, it gets kicked back to me. It's cool hearing your drums separated from everything else. How did you get the toms to resonate like that? I tried screwing with compression on the toms & the whole kit, but I couldn't get it to go. I'm tired, too (3AM right now), so I've kinda given up at this point. I'll check back in tomorrow night late.

New mix coming soon. Worked on it and tamed some stuff that was out of order. I'll upload to you soon, Jim.

All you guys stinkin' rock. I'm learning so much Thanks!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast