Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are these preamps included?

Default Are these preamps included?

Hi all,

To Lynn and everyone else who had the mic pre comparison cd, I'm just wondering if the comparison CD includes the Great River ME-1NV, API 512c and A-Design P-1? I want to upgrade my rack with one, maybe two new preamps. I like a pre that is transparent and clean. Are there any others that I should consider besides those 3? Which mics works best with the pres I mentioned above to get that transparent clean sound?

Hope to hear from you all soon. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by HERO MASTER View Post
    Hi all,

To Lynn and everyone else who had the mic pre comparison cd, I'm just wondering if the comparison CD includes the Great River ME-1NV, API 512c and A-Design P-1? I want to upgrade my rack with one, maybe two new preamps. I like a pre that is transparent and clean. Are there any others that I should consider besides those 3? Which mics works best with the pres I mentioned above to get that transparent clean sound?

Hope to hear from you all soon. Thx.
    The Great River NV was not being made when we did the first recordings in 2000, The 3D Pre CD. It is, however, on the Preamps in Paradise project.

The API 512 is on the first Pre CD, but since we were using a vintage unit and listening blind, we had no idea that it had a problem and didn't sound at all like a 512 until after we finished recording and revealed the identities, at which point the talent was gone. So on two of the sources on the Pre CD (Vols. 1 & 2 have four sources--male and female voice, ac gtr and snare), the API samples were not included because they weren't sonically representative of what the API sounded like. The API 3124 is on the Preamps in Paradise project though.

The P1 is not on either because it was not being manufactured at that time.

I would recommend that you listen to the Preamps in Paradise recordings.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    The Great River NV was not being made when we did the first recordings in 2000, The 3D Pre CD. It is, however, on the Preamps in Paradise project.

The API 512 is on the first Pre CD, but since we were using a vintage unit and listening blind, we had no idea that it had a problem and didn't sound at all like a 512 until after we finished recording and revealed the identities, at which point the talent was gone. So on two of the sources on the Pre CD (Vols. 1 & 2 have four sources--male and female voice, ac gtr and snare), the API samples were not included because they weren't sonically representative of what the API sounded like. The API 3124 is on the Preamps in Paradise project though.

The P1 is not on either because it was not being manufactured at that time.

I would recommend that you listen to the Preamps in Paradise recordings.
    Thanks for the quick reply, Lynn.

Is the API 3124 exactly the same as the 512c but just with 4 channels?

Is the Preamps in Paradise CD out yet? Where can I listen to the recordings or buy the CD?

Thanks for the quick reply, Lynn.

Is the API 3124 exactly the same as the 512c but just with 4 channels?

Is the Preamps in Paradise CD out yet? Where can I listen to the recordings or buy the CD?
    You are welcome.

Are they exactly the same? No. Different PC boards, different layouts. Almost all the same components. [If you want to go there, do a search for "312 512 3124 compare difference" and have fun. You can spend hours reading people's opinions about the simllarities and differences. Some of what you read will be true. I have known the specific differences but put the facts aside because, to me, they just don't matter. They all sound like APIs.] There are those who even differentiate between different versions/vintages of 512s. Then there are 312s and the 3124.

Can I hear the difference? Can't tell you for sure, I've never tried.
    Have I recorded through all three? Yes.
    Do they all sound like APIs to me? You bet.

For my money, the 3124 sounds just as much like an API as a 512. If not, I wouldn't have put it in this lineup.

It was recorded in 2004 and came out in 2006. You can buy the physical DVD here: http://www.3daudioinc.com/catalog
    It's got lots of pictures and a neat booklet.

If you want all the same info without the wait or the case, you can get the download here: http://www.3daudioinc.com/3db/showthread.php?t=13286
    Make sure you have hi-speed DL ability though. It's almost 3G worth of data.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

You are welcome.

Are they exactly the same? No. Different PC boards, different layouts. Almost all the same components. [If you want to go there, do a search for "312 512 3124 compare difference" and have fun. You can spend hours reading people's opinions about the simllarities and differences. Some of what you read will be true. I have known the specific differences but put the facts aside because, to me, they just don't matter. They all sound like APIs.] There are those who even differentiate between different versions/vintages of 512s. Then there are 312s and the 3124.

Can I hear the difference? Can't tell you for sure, I've never tried.
    Have I recorded through all three? Yes.
    Do they all sound like APIs to me? You bet.

For my money, the 3124 sounds just as much like an API as a 512. If not, I wouldn't have put it in this lineup.

It was recorded in 2004 and came out in 2006. You can buy the physical DVD here: http://www.3daudioinc.com/catalog
    It's got lots of pictures and a neat booklet.

If you want all the same info without the wait or the case, you can get the download here: http://www.3daudioinc.com/3db/showthread.php?t=13286
    Make sure you have hi-speed DL ability though. It's almost 3G worth of data.
    Wow, I don't think I would be able to hear the difference between the APIs.

Well, I just placed an order for the physical DVD. Can't wait til it gets here.

Can you tell me where I can listen to samples of the ME-1NV?

Can you tell me where I can listen to samples of the ME-1NV?
    Not sure I understand the question. You can search on the internet or here for MP-2NV or just 2NV and see what you come up with. The 1NV and the 500NV both sound identical to the MP-2NV, but the 2NV has been around longer so any samples you find of it will be the same as listening to the ME-1NV.

Dan might know where there are samples floating around.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Not sure I understand the question. You can search on the internet or here for MP-2NV or just 2NV and see what you come up with. The 1NV and the 500NV both sound identical to the MP-2NV, but the 2NV has been around longer so any samples you find of it will be the same as listening to the ME-1NV.

Dan might know where there are samples floating around.
    Cool. I recently did a research on GR and discovered that they are not too far from where I live; under 10 miles. Hmmm... I wonder if I can ask Dan if he can lend me a ME-1NV for a test drive for a fee???

You'll be hard pressed to find a nicer guy than Dan. No matter where you live.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

You'll be hard pressed to find a nicer guy than Dan. No matter where you live.
    Wow. I've heard a few said that Dan is a pretty nice guy?

Well, I heard Fletcher at Mercenary is awesome. I've never spoke with the guy before but he's on the top of my list for contacts in the future regarding high-end gears. I also heard that Mercenary allows you to return the gears you purchased if you are not completely satisfied with it? Some say that Mercenary also allows you to get multiple units at once to try out and only pay for the one you like, and return the ones you don't like. That's really cool. I wonder how he does that? What happens if too many people returns stuffs? Does it loose it's values because it's considered an open item now, or does it go back for inspection and restocked for the next buyer? Sorry if I'm not making much sense here. Either way I think it's still nice to be flexible like that. I don't know of any others who can do that.

Lynn,

I just received my pre-amp comparison DVD today. Somehow I can't play the DVD on Windows Media Player. It could be due to a codec issue. Is there another way I can play the audio only? I don't necessarily need to watch the videos now. I just want to hear the difference between the pre-amps. Is there away I can listen to the tracks like a regular audio CD until I figure out what the problem is with my computer?

Thanks Lynn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast