Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Are these preamps included?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN, USA
    Posts
    27,246

    Default

    The files are all as originally recorded, 24 bit 48K wave files. I know that Quicktime will play them. WMP 10 will as well. Don't get me started on why WMP 9 wouldn't play .wav files. Biggest bonehead thing ever.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

    Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    The files are all as originally recorded, 24 bit 48K wave files. I know that Quicktime will play them. WMP 10 will as well. Don't get me started on why WMP 9 wouldn't play .wav files. Biggest bonehead thing ever.
    Lynn... how do you get them to open and line them up in order in Pro Tools to do the comparison? I just downloaded Windows Media Player version 10 but still can't play some video files.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN, USA
    Posts
    27,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HERO MASTER View Post
    Lynn... how do you get them to open and line them up in order in Pro Tools to do the comparison? I just downloaded Windows Media Player version 10 but still can't play some video files.
    Open the included PT file. That's the easiest way.

    I'll have to look into the player thing for Windows. This is the first time I've ever heard of someone not being able to play them. I'll do that tomorrow. (Kids are here.)
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

    Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    Open the included PT file. That's the easiest way.

    I'll have to look into the player thing for Windows. This is the first time I've ever heard of someone not being able to play them. I'll do that tomorrow. (Kids are here.)
    My computer's been acting crazy lately. It's been driving me insane. The disc is fine. It's just my computer. I'll just keep on trying. I'll find another way to get around it like I always do. Don't worry about it, Lynn. Just enjoy your times with the kids and come back whenever your ready. I myself love kids too.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    36

    Default I'm shocked

    Lynn.... so I opened the session up in Pro Tools and did the comparison. As I listened, I was shocked to hear what a big differences there is. After listening through all the different pre-amps on different sources, I can finally answer my long time question, "Do I really need a converter?". The answer is definitely, "No...not until I get all my mics and pre-amps in place first." When I did the converter comparison test, I was even more shocked. I did not hear a thing different or improvement between a converter costing only a few hundred dollars from one that costs a few thousand dollars. I'm glad I haven't took the plunge on the converters.

    These CDs are two of the best investment I've made for my studio. You did a fabulous job, Lynn. Wish I was there when you guys did these recordings. It would've been a fun and great learning experience.

    So far, from the pre-amp comparison test I did last night, my favorites came to this:

    Vocals: L --- Seems the most realistic to my ears and stands out from the others.
    Accoustic Guitars: C --- This one really stands out from the rest miles ahead. It felt like it was right there in front of me. I can definitely tell in a blind test. It actually made the others sound lo-fi. BTW Lynn, what kind of guitar was it?

    What I'm also shocked was that what sounded great on one source sounds horrible on other sources. Before, I knew that there would be some differences but I didn't think it would be this much difference. Now I believe that a cheaper pre-amp can also sound good but it has to be for the right sources and vice versa.

    I haven't tried comparing the other instruments yet, but will do that later today.
    Last edited by HERO MASTER; 05-16-2009 at 07:57 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •