Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: SM57 vs M500 for guitar amp mic

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    46

    Default SM57 vs M500 for guitar amp mic

    I mostly record Guitar, Bass and Keyboard by myself and use Drum Set plug-ins.

    I'm using a pair of SM81's for XY my acoustic guitar and I'm the original owner of a Beyer M500 used for vocals and electric guitar thru a ME NV-1 and/or a RNP w/ 2 optional RNC's.

    I recently caught the bug and I'm adding a used older (if i can locate one) SM57 to share the duty of the M500 for micing a cranked Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb, Princeton Reverb or Fender Silverface Champ guitar amp.

    I've heard the comparisons (the listening test) between the 57 and other high end mics and IMHO, they really sound great ....especially for the $$.... fuggedabowdit.

    What differences should I expect between the 57 & the M500 when it comes to micing a guitar amp?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    14,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    I mostly record Guitar, Bass and Keyboard by myself and use Drum Set plug-ins.

    I'm using a pair of SM81's for XY my acoustic guitar and I'm the original owner of a Beyer M500 used for vocals and electric guitar thru a ME NV-1 and/or a RNP w/ 2 optional RNC's.

    I recently caught the bug and I'm adding a used older (if i can locate one) SM57 to share the duty of the M500 for micing a cranked Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb, Princeton Reverb or Fender Silverface Champ guitar amp.

    I've heard the comparisons (the listening test) between the 57 and other high end mics and IMHO, they really sound great ....especially for the $$.... fuggedabowdit.

    What differences should I expect between the 57 & the M500 when it comes to micing a guitar amp?
    I am a huge m500 fan on egtrs. With the right pre, an m500 will sound like a 57 on steroids. For a ribbon, it is quite bright, but in just the right area of the mids to really make a nice gtr tone speak in the track. A 57 has the classic aggression and mid-range honk you know and love for egtrs, but not the same sweetness as the m500...
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NashVegas
    Posts
    1,714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Robbins View Post
    I am a huge m500 fan on egtrs. With the right pre, an m500 will sound like a 57 on steroids. For a ribbon, it is quite bright, but in just the right area of the mids to really make a nice gtr tone speak in the track. A 57 has the classic aggression and mid-range honk you know and love for egtrs, but not the same sweetness as the m500...
    What he said. I own three (since 1979) and mix/match with 57s, Fat Heads and an i5 to my taste. Just used one on flute the other night (these are PA uses for acoustic acts) and was pleased. Gain hogs, but sweet mics.
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

    "I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Here are the graphs for each.

    The 1st is the M500 with the distances making a noticeable difference in the lower frequency response and the next is the SM57.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M500 N.gif 
Views:	151 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	2160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SM57.GIF 
Views:	136 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	2161  

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    46

    Default

    I've read about the Sennheiser MD-421 being "bigger and fatter" than the 57?

    I think I'm starting to understand these comparisons from looking at the graphs and the way people are describing them.

    Would I be duplicating the M500 if I bought a 421?

    Or are we talking a different sound altogether?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MD-421.GIF 
Views:	95 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	2163  

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    14,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post

    Would I be duplicating the M500 if I bought a 421?

    Or are we talking a different sound altogether?
    You're talking a different sound. I usually find the 421 to be a bit too "razor" thin in the upper mids on egtr sounds when used on its own. Although, it is good if you like to blend mics as it can add a nice focus to the mids in conjunction with another mic. Have you ever tried an sm7 on your amps? My standard set-up is a 57, sm7, m500, 421. The way I set-up I can take any of these mics on their own or blend any of them together in any combination. With these "colors" I find I can get about 80% of any gtr sound I need...
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Todd,
    So then, going by the visual graphs that I posted previously, would the combination of my M500 which has more mids compensate for the thin mids of the MD421?
    Bob aka root

  8. #8
    PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Posts
    6,889

    Default

    I hate the 421 on e-guitar by itself. When blended with other mics I can get some nice tones.

    Depending on the tone I'm looking for I'll either go with a 57 and an R121 or a 57 and an AT4047.
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

    Nathan

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    14,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Todd,
    So then, going by the visual graphs that I posted previously, would the combination of my M500 which has more mids compensate for the thin mids of the MD421?
    Bob aka root
    throw away the graphs and use those funny looking things on the side of your head... it's the only way to get what you're after.
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    46

    Default

    You mean my "ears"?
    I've never "heard" of such a thing.
    yuk, yuk....
    I'd like to use my ears to tell the difference but I don't have a 421 or 57 to make comparisons.
    That's why I'm looking at the frq chart.
    It's all I got to go by.
    Last edited by root; 05-18-2009 at 08:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •