Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: GM filing bankruptcy tomorrow

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    salt lake city
    Posts
    3,252

    Default GM filing bankruptcy tomorrow

    (It is still Sunday here as I am posting this.)

    It would be interesting to go through the posts of the last months and see who knew this was going to happen or should happen and those that were opposed.

    It was the only way to restructure the company. Better now than later. Should have happened before we spent BILLIONS of our grandchildren's money IMHO.
    3daudio VIP

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    9,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    It would be interesting to go through the posts of the last months and see who knew this was going to happen or should happen and those that were opposed.
    I had a pretty strong feeling this was going to happen. If we really wanted to save GM, we would have needed some protectionism. There's no way to realistically compete with wages paid in other parts of the world, especially when competing with other countries where companies aren't required to pay health care.

    Also, unless something is done, I think the leaner/meaner GM is also bound to fail. What other manufacturing industries were we able to save in the U.S.? Textiles? Garment industry? Shoe manufacturing? Electronics industry? Once these industries leave, I don't think we can expect them back anytime soon. If there were no car companies already here, why would a multi-national corporation start one here when cheaper labor is available elsewhere?
    Lee Blaske
    Excelsior, MN
    http://www.reverbnation.com/leeblaske

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN, USA
    Posts
    27,246

    Default

    As of minutes ago, it's a done deal.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

    Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    14,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    As of minutes ago, it's a done deal.
    It's almost kind of sad watching them go. At least we can be proud to now own 72.5% of a company that makes crap...
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

  5. #5
    Wireline's Avatar
    Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Midland Tx
    Posts
    11,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    As of minutes ago, it's a done deal.
    Question: since the "Hummer" brand is on the sale block, how will all this affect the US Military small vehicle inventory...Hummers were originally designed to spec as a military all purpose vehicle...

    Can a foreign nation build US Military tactical equipment at all?

    Since the US Government owns 60% of GM now, does this mean that the fleet of government vehicles must be GM?

    Uncharted territory, it seems.

    Oh...yeah...since GM is now bankrupt, do we as taxpayers get a claim to get our TARP money back?
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    14,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
    Question: since the "Hummer" brand is on the sale block, how will all this affect the US Military small vehicle inventory...Hummers were originally designed to spec as a military all purpose vehicle...

    Can a foreign nation build US Military tactical equipment at all?

    Since the US Government owns 60% of GM now, does this mean that the fleet of government vehicles must be GM?

    Uncharted territory, it seems.

    Oh...yeah...since GM is now bankrupt, do we as taxpayers get a claim to get our TARP money back?
    IIRC, GM does not build the military version, AMG does so in South Bend, Inidana. AMG also also owns the "Hummer" name and they allow GM to use it through a licensing deal. The only similarity between the H1 (the military AMG bad boy) and the H2 (the GM soccer-mom version) is name only. GM builds their H2 on a Suburban chassis and it is much narrower than the military vehicle with about 1/10 of the features...
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

  7. #7
    Wireline's Avatar
    Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Midland Tx
    Posts
    11,363

    Default

    Thanks for that update. I was just leaving the military when the original Hum-Vee trucks were being delivered...24V electrical, suspensions built to allow TOW and other medium weapon platforms, snorkels for actual underwater operation, etc....
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Danville, KY
    Posts
    981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske View Post
    If there were no car companies already here, why would a multi-national corporation start one here when cheaper labor is available elsewhere?
    OK, then explain the Japanese car companies that have already built plants in America? Toyota in Georgetown, KY is a great example. Plus, there are plenty of satellite companies that have sprung up to supply the Japanese car factories. They can use American labor as long as they have good management, produce a good product and avoid the unions.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    14,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D Sears View Post
    OK, then explain the Japanese car companies that have already built plants in America? Toyota in Georgetown, KY is a great example. Plus, there are plenty of satellite companies that have sprung up to supply the Japanese car factories. They can use American labor as long as they have good management, produce a good product and avoid the unions.
    Volkswagon is building a large facility near Chattanooga, TN too...
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

  10. #10
    Wireline's Avatar
    Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Midland Tx
    Posts
    11,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Robbins View Post
    Volkswagon is building a large facility near Chattanooga, TN too...
    Cool....a VW that runs on moonshine. Now that IS change I can believe in
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •