Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's this microphone...?

Default What's this microphone...?

Hi guys, I wonder what microphone that is....? Anybody?

tx, Karl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frank_sinatra-strangers_in_the_night.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	2233  

looks like eighter a Neumann KM54 or a Schoeps MK or a AKG C61 with windscreen attached. Anybody can distinguish by identifying the angled mic holder?

The key will likely be that windscreen. It looks like a circular version of the modern plastic zeppelin. I've seen it before but don't recall. Someone asked once in a thread here or at GS about a photo of a mic that Rudy Van Gelder was using on drums. I believe this is the same mic.

I'll put my people on it.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post

I'll put my people on it.
    While you are at it, have your people look into that short mounting bar. I've gotten hold of a couple of mics that only have integral swivel mounts, and need something like that to be able to position more accurately.

I still think its an AKG though....hard to tell from that pic, but isn't that the same mic/headscreen used on a lot a Beatles vids?
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
    While you are at it, have your people look into that short mounting bar. I've gotten hold of a couple of mics that only have integral swivel mounts, and need something like that to be able to position more accurately.

I still think its an AKG though....hard to tell from that pic, but isn't that the same mic/headscreen used on a lot a Beatles vids?
    The Dylan retrospective "No Direction Home" had him singing and playing into very similar mics/screens... Newport, maybe?

Looks like this, maybe:

http://www.schoeps.de/E-2004/windscreens-baskets.html

AKG doesn't seem to have any "balls" in their current inventory.

http://www.akg.com/site/powerslave,i...nguage,EN.html

Let the jokes begin...
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

Yea, the W20 on the Schoeps site looks like the one in question.

Harry, aren't you leaving the country today? Just got some time to kill? Have a great trip.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
    Not sure I understood the question. You need a non-swiveling mount or a more secure swiveling mount?

I like this mini-boom that attaches to the clip end of your existing stand. This one is a 7" but I think they make a shorter one too.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BoomMini/
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

Not sure I understood the question.
    I get that a lot...

Just looking for a shorter extension to more accurately position our newly acquired 74B, and pretty much any mic off the big Atlas stands...
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Not sure I understood the question. You need a non-swiveling mount or a more secure swiveling mount?

I like this mini-boom that attaches to the clip end of your existing stand. This one is a 7" but I think they make a shorter one too.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BoomMini/
    And two of them ($22 worth at Sam Ash) on a short stereo bar with "standard" omnis (Gefell M296s, Schoeps CMC6/MK2H) out as far as they'll reach gives you a passable 40-70cm "spaced omni" rig on a single stand.

Yea, the W20 on the Schoeps site looks like the one in question.

Harry, aren't you leaving the country today? Just got some time to kill? Have a great trip.

And, yes, Lynn, time to burn at JFK while Delta fiddles. 90 minute delay on the Rome leg. Ah, well...

It is nice, though, to have two Gefell M296s and two Sennheiser MKH8040s in a plastic pencil box in my backpack, along with the DPA 4061s and MicroDots in a little Audix mic bag and the Ultrasones, two 2.5" HDDs, the Mac Book Pro and 30 reels of mini DV tape. And some other stuff. Carol and I are carrying on three widescreen cameras (two Sony Z1Us and a PD-150 with a Schneider 16:9 adapter) and all the RF mics and batteries and chargers. Only gear checked is a golf club case with tripods and mic stands and a large suitcase with the Mackie Onyx 1220 (house PA feed and ADC duties), the DAV BG8 rack, and mic cables.

The total pack was four checked bags (including two weeks' clothing) at 49, 49, 51 and 51 lbs... no overweight charges... and the two carryon camera cases and two backpacks. So far, so very good.

Ciao, dudes. Vino in Roma this time tomorrow... if not before.
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Isn't that windgag generically called the grapefruit? and isn't it a Neumann thing? I don't know. Looking at the mic in that low-res picture, it -could- be the AKG C-28 (I have three of those, which were the ones used by the Beatles) or C-61, hard to tell because of the windscreen, which is not the standard issue for the C-28. But didn't Neumann also have a couple of similar-sized mics (KM 76, KM 86)? I don't know the Schoeps line other than the miniatures, nor do I recall any Sennheisers of that size.

Oh, I guess that it is possibly some University Sound mic... their hand helds had a similar oversized windscreen, but again, I don't know the line.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast