Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Orchestra" recording

Go Dave.

Thanks for the log.

Glad you worked out the room mics. Post some progress pictures if you can!

-D

A small little piece of peaceful Williamson County

Progress...

it's now 11:15 pm.. just got "home" for the night. I was at the church at 9 am this morning. All my gear is still there. I just didn't have the energy to load it in the truck and then drag it inside here at the house (only to load it back up tomorrow).

We were able to get 6 songs done today with the orch. All the winds and brass for the CD and 6 of the 9 songs with strings. We'll get the last little bit of strings next Sunday. We ended up having about 40 players involved. I'm used to working with string players down in Nashville who are lightning fast for sure. So, I was impressed that we were able to get as much done with this makeshift group of people, a lot of whom had not been through this type of recording process before (playing to a click track, punching parts, etc.). It took a little bit of time to get them up to speed and we had a few glitches with the charts.... didn't have a 2nd to get numbers for me and the measures on the score and in PT were WHACKED!!!! That was a little bit of a hang up.

But in all... we got some GREAT stuff. I'll try and post some stuff in the next couple of days. I'm SUPER pumped to listen back to the tracks with a clear head.

As a side note... I did some choir overdubs for a church worship project right after the orch session... WOW!!!!

I was expecting 20 people based on what the church was telling me.... we had over 60 people show up... HUGE sound!!! Gonna be killer once it's done. It's so cool because it's not like a lot of church CDs where they have the worship leader dude and the two best female singers doing BGVs. We've tried to involve as many people from the church as possible (we did use my "A" team of session players for the rhythm tracks). Should be a neat project once it's done!

Thanks for the interest on the orch. thing. I'll try and post some samples when I can later this week.

Great.

How are you monitoring during the sessions and how are you doing talkback?

-D

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bechtel View Post
    It took a little bit of time to get them up to speed and we had a few glitches with the charts.... didn't have a 2nd to get numbers for me and the measures on the score and in PT were WHACKED!!!! That was a little bit of a hang up.
    I've been doing markers for bar numbers in the session for about three years now. It's so much faster (once you have them done) than looking for numbers on a score. It's lightning fast.

Except when the arranger takes the rhythm chart home and makes changes based on the rhythm tracking and brings back the orch score and the numbers don't line up. "Oh yea, we doubled that two bar turnaround." Now everything from bar 37 on is two bars off. Yuk.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM View Post
    Great.

How are you monitoring during the sessions and how are you doing talkback?

-D

I have one of those Presonus Central Stations in the rack. I have found that to be an extremely useful tool. I know some folks aren't super crazy about the sound of it but, I think it's a great piece. Very flexible.

I'm able to switch from listening to what I'm sending the players and what is going to tape/disk.

It also has a talkback mic built in with a foot switch. Cool.

I had to monitor with headphones. While I was in a side room, the transmission of sound in the sanctuary was such that ANY noise made throughout the church was heard. So, I went with my cans that I've worked with for years and know the sound of quite well at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    I've been doing markers for bar numbers in the session for about three years now. It's so much faster (once you have them done) than looking for numbers on a score. It's lightning fast.
    Lynn, GREAT tip! I did place some markers on some of the stuff (Verse, chorus,etc) but I should have done more. This was a very good learning opertunity for me.

I have to tell you. This was one of the most action packed and exilerating things I've worked on. I barely ate at all through out the day because I was running on so much adrenaline

I'll try and post some photos and some clips later tonight.

Thanks for all the input guys!!!

Lynn, GREAT tip! I did place some markers on some of the stuff (Verse, chorus,etc) but I should have done more. This was a very good learning opertunity for me.
    When working with a score I'll mark every two or four bars depending on the tempo. Works great when you're working from a score, but if you're working with a church choir who knows it all by memory and no one is working from a score, then it's pretty useless.

Doing the "Let's catch if from the second half of that second phrase in the third modulation of the repeat chorus before we go back to the bridge, you know...." thing can wear you out. It does me.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Regarding Markers and Such...

Since I do so much of this kind of stuff and it's long and live, and I am printing to my HD-24 and Samplitude at the same time - I have created a log that I write HH:MM:SS info and place markers in Samplitude.

In fact since some of my performances exceed 3 hours I don't even write the hour. I use nothing for under 59 Minutes (e.g. 59:59) and the letter A for hour 1 plus suffix (e.g. A:00:01) and B for hour two etc. I have found that it is easier for me to visually parse B:03:15 than 02:03:15 for some reason. This has driven some folks nuts when looking at my logs - but it has worked for over 25 years I can't change all of my old habits.

I then can review both sources for location info. Typically I can also do this in librettos when I am doing a live performance of an oratorio. It's much easier for me to find stuff this way since I don't speak German and about 90% of the live work I do is in German! BTW I hate editing in German, no offense I just don't speak the language.

-D

My shorthand is just bar numbers, with a .2 suffix for repeats, (.3 if needed).

I keep all the songs in a single session and it works incredibly well for moving quickly when doing overdubs.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Here's a very small clip of the back half on the last song on the project.

I haven't done anything to the files/mix except to edit out the meassures of rest. This is with all the faders up. I haven't done any balancing yet.
    I'm going to have to spend some figuring out how much of the room I want to dial in and what if any kind of reverb to add to the tracks.

BTW: This clip still has the MIDI piano and does not have the solo violin yet.

http://ascend.fatcow.com/3d/O%20Come...Us%20Rough.mp3

Here's a very small clip of the back half on the last song on the project.

I haven't done anything to the files/mix except to edit out the meassures of rest. This is with all the faders up. I haven't done any balancing yet.
    I'm going to have to spend some figuring out how much of the room I want to dial in and what if any kind of reverb to add to the tracks.

BTW: This clip still has the MIDI piano and does not have the solo violin yet.

http://ascend.fatcow.com/3d/O%20Come...Us%20Rough.mp3
    Wow.. very nice for rough.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast