Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two Buss Compressor "Glue"?

Default Two Buss Compressor "Glue"?

I am starting to learn about how (and when and if) to use a compressor on the 2 buss. It is said that some compressors (e.g. Manley Vari-Mu) really bring together the individual tracks. Would a much cleaner compressor, such as a GML, have the same effect? And finally, which compressors do the best job of this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Haolemon View Post
    I am starting to learn about how (and when and if) to use a compressor on the 2 buss. It is said that some compressors (e.g. Manley Vari-Mu) really bring together the individual tracks.
    It has also been said that music needed to be recorded to analog tape to be effectively "glued" together. Most of the people that once said that are no longer using analog tape, so maybe it wasn't that important after all.

I don't know. People say a lot of things. If you can, see if you can find a way to try that hardware, or software emulations, and see if anything rings your bell. There's a huge amount of subjectivity in the opinions you'll get about these things.
    Lee Blaske
    Excelsior, MN
    http://www.reverbnation.com/leeblaske

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske View Post
    It has also been said that music needed to be recorded to analog tape to be effectively "glued" together. Most of the people that once said that are no longer using analog tape, so maybe it wasn't that important after all.

I don't know. People say a lot of things. If you can, see if you can find a way to try that hardware, or software emulations, and see if anything rings your bell. There's a huge amount of subjectivity in the opinions you'll get about these things.
    If I use a comp/limiter on the main bus, 99% of the time it's a transparent one. I will use more colored processors on sub busses, but my preference run's to transparency.

I have found Voxengo Elephant to be a good bus comp/limiter on the main.
    Doug Joyce
    Animix Productions

samc is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske View Post
    Every time I've ever heard or read that garbage it was either said or written by someone who either had very little or no experience working with tape...

All the good engineers with lots of real-world experience with tape (that I know) and including myself use(d) tape because it's a good recording medium, not for 'compression' or 'glue' or any other crappy reason...go figure.
    Sam Clayton

We are who we are because of what we know.

samc is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Haolemon View Post
    I am starting to learn about how (and when and if) to use a compressor on the 2 buss. It is said that some compressors (e.g. Manley Vari-Mu) really bring together the individual tracks. Would a much cleaner compressor, such as a GML, have the same effect? And finally, which compressors do the best job of this?
    Before the festival begins I'll say this:

Experience, experience, experience; Of course really knowing what a compressor does also helps with these matters...
    Sam Clayton

We are who we are because of what we know.

Back when I was recording to tape, I remember [my reel to reel] having a very harsh saturation limit...sounded worse than slightly clipping my DAW.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by QNote View Post
    Back when I was recording to tape, I remember [my reel to reel] having a very harsh saturation limit...sounded worse than slightly clipping my DAW.
    I don't think that opinion is shared by most analog tape users.

DC
    Dave Collins Mastering
    www.collinsaudio.com
    +1 323 467 5570

Quote Originally Posted by QNote View Post
    You had something tragically wrong with your "reel to reel"...

Well recorded analog is the ultimate "glue". Even a DAW mix printed to analog takes on some qualities that are hard to find elsewhere. About 99% of the time it will set the bottom end just right where it needs to be and it will do something magic with the vocal, gluing it into the track and giving that extra "something"...
    Last edited by Todd Robbins; 08-04-2009 at 05:05 AM.
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

The effect I like strikes me more as 'framing', than 'glue'. A defining of the edges, or border around the mix, I guess.
    Doug Williams
    Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders

Quote Originally Posted by samc View Post
    All the good engineers with lots of real-world experience with tape (that I know) and including myself use(d) tape because it's a good recording medium, not for 'compression' or 'glue' or any other crappy reason...go figure.

I'd never even heard the expression "glue" ...or, for that matter, heard of anyone using a compressor on the 2-mix output -- until about 5 years after I stopped regularly using analog tape!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast