Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Two Buss Compressor "Glue"?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    246

    Default Two Buss Compressor "Glue"?

    I am starting to learn about how (and when and if) to use a compressor on the 2 buss. It is said that some compressors (e.g. Manley Vari-Mu) really bring together the individual tracks. Would a much cleaner compressor, such as a GML, have the same effect? And finally, which compressors do the best job of this?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    9,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haolemon View Post
    I am starting to learn about how (and when and if) to use a compressor on the 2 buss. It is said that some compressors (e.g. Manley Vari-Mu) really bring together the individual tracks.
    It has also been said that music needed to be recorded to analog tape to be effectively "glued" together. Most of the people that once said that are no longer using analog tape, so maybe it wasn't that important after all.

    I don't know. People say a lot of things. If you can, see if you can find a way to try that hardware, or software emulations, and see if anything rings your bell. There's a huge amount of subjectivity in the opinions you'll get about these things.
    Lee Blaske
    Excelsior, MN
    http://www.reverbnation.com/leeblaske

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Durango, CO
    Posts
    9,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske View Post
    It has also been said that music needed to be recorded to analog tape to be effectively "glued" together. Most of the people that once said that are no longer using analog tape, so maybe it wasn't that important after all.

    I don't know. People say a lot of things. If you can, see if you can find a way to try that hardware, or software emulations, and see if anything rings your bell. There's a huge amount of subjectivity in the opinions you'll get about these things.
    If I use a comp/limiter on the main bus, 99% of the time it's a transparent one. I will use more colored processors on sub busses, but my preference run's to transparency.

    I have found Voxengo Elephant to be a good bus comp/limiter on the main.
    Doug Joyce
    Animix Productions

  4. #4
    samc's Avatar
    samc is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,763

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske View Post
    It has also been said that music needed to be recorded to analog tape to be effectively "glued" together. Most of the people that once said that are no longer using analog tape, so maybe it wasn't that important after all.
    Every time I've ever heard or read that garbage it was either said or written by someone who either had very little or no experience working with tape...

    All the good engineers with lots of real-world experience with tape (that I know) and including myself use(d) tape because it's a good recording medium, not for 'compression' or 'glue' or any other crappy reason...go figure.
    Sam Clayton

    We are who we are because of what we know.

  5. #5
    samc's Avatar
    samc is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,763

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haolemon View Post
    I am starting to learn about how (and when and if) to use a compressor on the 2 buss. It is said that some compressors (e.g. Manley Vari-Mu) really bring together the individual tracks. Would a much cleaner compressor, such as a GML, have the same effect? And finally, which compressors do the best job of this?
    Before the festival begins I'll say this:

    Experience, experience, experience; Of course really knowing what a compressor does also helps with these matters...
    Sam Clayton

    We are who we are because of what we know.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,639

    Default

    Back when I was recording to tape, I remember [my reel to reel] having a very harsh saturation limit...sounded worse than slightly clipping my DAW.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QNote View Post
    Back when I was recording to tape, I remember [my reel to reel] having a very harsh saturation limit...sounded worse than slightly clipping my DAW.
    I don't think that opinion is shared by most analog tape users.


    DC
    Dave Collins Mastering
    www.collinsaudio.com
    +1 323 467 5570

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    14,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QNote View Post
    Back when I was recording to tape, I remember [my reel to reel] having a very harsh saturation limit...sounded worse than slightly clipping my DAW.
    You had something tragically wrong with your "reel to reel"...

    Well recorded analog is the ultimate "glue". Even a DAW mix printed to analog takes on some qualities that are hard to find elsewhere. About 99% of the time it will set the bottom end just right where it needs to be and it will do something magic with the vocal, gluing it into the track and giving that extra "something"...
    Last edited by Todd Robbins; 08-04-2009 at 05:05 AM.
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Posts
    1,036

    Default

    The effect I like strikes me more as 'framing', than 'glue'. A defining of the edges, or border around the mix, I guess.
    Doug Williams
    Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samc View Post
    All the good engineers with lots of real-world experience with tape (that I know) and including myself use(d) tape because it's a good recording medium, not for 'compression' or 'glue' or any other crappy reason...go figure.

    I'd never even heard the expression "glue" ...or, for that matter, heard of anyone using a compressor on the 2-mix output -- until about 5 years after I stopped regularly using analog tape!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •