Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Power Amps

Default Power Amps

Found an Altec Lansing 9442A power amp today. Owner says it's in good working condition although I have no idea how old or noisy it is. I've always liked my old Tannoys (System 8 NFMs) and would like to put them back into use but need an amp to power them. Being around so many powered speakers today, I've never kept up or paid much attention to amp specs and technology. Without going and buying something new and keeping it on the cheap, I do have in storage a Crown D75 and a D150a. The 75 might be a bit underpowered ran in stereo but has balanced inputs. The 150 only has 1/4" unbalanced inputs. Neither have been used in about 3 years.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
    Last edited by stereotype; 08-31-2009 at 11:24 PM.

Those are still popular in some circles, but I've never heard one myself. Have a listen if you can.
    Doug Williams
    Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders

Troy Baldwin is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '12

I have both of the Crowns you mentioned. The 75 only gets used to edit spoken word projects, feeding some little KRK monitors. It works well enough.

The 150 I never did like when I tried to mix on it. Maybe it was the room, or one of the thousand of other things, but it seemed like all it gave was midrange. I felt like I was guessing on the low end. (and yes I had checked and double checked the phase)

It would be interesting to hear the 9442s
    AD9 Audio Services
    ad9audio.com

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

Uh...doesn't the DC300 have unbalanced ins?

As for Altec amps, I use one to push some smaller speakers in the CR, and they sound just fine. Have a couple others kicking around ready to go

If you do score the amp, make sure you check here: http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet...ers/index.html
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

I use a Crown D150a into JBL 4408's. Works for me!
    Michael Rogers
    (3D VIP Member)
    DeskTop Productions

In the '80s Altec was purchased by the same consortium that owned, among many others, ElectroVoice. The Altec 9442 is identical to the EV AP2300. They're convection cooled (no fan noise) and are, according to my reading, well engineered, if a bit "overbuilt", in terms of the power supplies, etc.

I've had both in my monitor rack (live 8-mix) and, until they run out of steam, they're clean, quiet power. I replaced them with Crest CKS400 for a bit more headroom.

It may not be Bryston... but it should work well, and with balanced inputs already in place.

http://archives.telex.com/archives/E...s%20Manual.pdf

http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet...ers/index.html
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

I used the Crown 150 to blow tweeters in my Yamaha NS10s five or six times before I upped the power to a Phase Linear 400, never lost a tweeter after that.

In my opinion, neither the 150, 75, nor 60 have enough power or headroom for music on small monitors. The 300, maybe. I used to really really like the sound of Crowns, I liked the sound of early Crests (3501, 5001, 8001), but having been using much better stuff for so long, I don't know if I still would like them as well as I did. Amps contribute more to the sound than seems to be given credit these days.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

Brystons all the way!
    I may be biased being Canadian but in all my years of using these things in broadcast studios where equipment abuse is HUGE, I've only ever had one go south.
    With their extra-long warranty, getting one fixed is not a problem.
    Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
    Voice-0vers, Broadcast Engineering, Consulting
    Vancouver, BC., Canada

Thanks all.

I'd love to go with a Bryston. My checkbook disagrees right now though.

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

But your checkbook will smile at a Phase Linear 400... typically $100-$150 in used music stores everywhere. Or the similar model SAE. The Phase was not made to travel, but piles of them were stuffed into PA racks and trouped all over the country before amps like Crest showed up, and Crown developed their traveling amps. So the Phase got a bad rep, because when a Phase Linear amp fails, it sends DC to the speakers, frying them. There is a little $10 protection card to prevent that. I bought two of these amps back in the early 90s, with the protection cards. Before I put them into service I had them checked over. Sitting in a studio rack, neither has failed yet.

Talk to someone who knows amp design. It is a nice piece.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast