Thread: Chamber orch.

Default Chamber orch.

This is chamber orch. who wanted to make a demo to get gigs. Never did this type of recording before was worried about the out come..

I used two m160 overhead for flute and violin, a u87 and an r84 to capture the viola and cello and a pair of 451 for room mikes. all thru the DAV pre amp mastered on an OCL-2

I noticed some intonation issues with the players but hey classical musicians are human too. lol

What can I do to improve my skills at recording this type of music?

http://www2.mixposure.com/index.php?...5&band_id=3568
    Thanks for your help-!!
    Last edited by Jim Easton; 04-03-2010 at 05:44 PM.

Jim,
    Have you another source for the files? I can't get past the flash intro....

(my pc issue, most likely)

Wayne

I have little (OK, none) experiencing recording an orchestra or ensemble of this sort, but I'm liking what I hear. Nice ambiance and depth, nice tone, and good balance. Only things that stand out are the musician issues you mentioned.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Ok, Found my way through it.....

I think it's a great first go at classical. What I think is:

Generally in classical music we lean more on the room mics than you did here. Sometimes too much, to where it all turns to spacious mush. But capturing the group as whole (ensemble) sound tends to be the paradigm for classical, whereas for jazz it seems to more focused on individuals working together. A subtle distinction, but important in some circles. The problem with leaning on the room (ensemble) mics is... you need a good room. People are using 451s as room mics, so stick with them until it's clear they do or don't work for what you want.

Love the cello. Is that the R84?

The flute mic is right for jazz and pop, but too aggressive for most classical. Not familiar with what an M160 sounds like, but it's probably too close, and maybe too close to the headjoint. What I'm hearing is an aggressive bottom end and a lot of wind noise, with sort of a hole in the upper mids. It sounds as if the flute is playing in my ear (I have experienced this...). The bottom may not be a problem if the flute was lowered a bit in the track, and/or it was more tonally balanced. You might try the mic an arm's length above the instrument, pointing about the center of the flute. Move it around a bit, flutes are about as sensitive to mic position as strings. You might also try swapping the M160 on flute for the viola mic (U87?), but that may leave the strings sounding too much the same. Another R84 might be sweet on flute. But I have no direct experience with either of these mics. 451s wouldn't be my first choice as close mic on flute, but I could make them work.

My $0.02.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by TonemeisterW View Post
    Ok, Found my way through it.....

I think it's a great first go at classical. What I think is:

Generally in classical music we lean more on the room mics than you did here. Sometimes too much, to where it all turns to spacious mush. But capturing the group as whole (ensemble) sound tends to be the paradigm for classical, whereas for jazz it seems to more focused on individuals working together. A subtle distinction, but important in some circles. The problem with leaning on the room (ensemble) mics is... you need a good room. People are using 451s as room mics, so stick with them until it's clear they do or don't work for what you want.

Love the cello. Is that the R84?

The flute mic is right for jazz and pop, but too aggressive for most classical. Not familiar with what an M160 sounds like, but it's probably too close, and maybe too close to the headjoint. What I'm hearing is an aggressive bottom end and a lot of wind noise, with sort of a hole in the upper mids. It sounds as if the flute is playing in my ear (I have experienced this...). The bottom may not be a problem if the flute was lowered a bit in the track, and/or it was more tonally balanced. You might try the mic an arm's length above the instrument, pointing about the center of the flute. Move it around a bit, flutes are about as sensitive to mic position as strings. You might also try swapping the M160 on flute for the viola mic (U87?), but that may leave the strings sounding too much the same. Another R84 might be sweet on flute. But I have no direct experience with either of these mics. 451s wouldn't be my first choice as close mic on flute, but I could make them work.

My $0.02.

Wayne

Thx, Wayne

yes- r84 on cello, I have a bunch of different mike's I can use, was hoping to get in the ball park with the m160 ribbons.

the room is a well treated 20x30x12
    How far away should the room mike's be from the quartet and how far above? shooting in the dark when I placed the 451's

Wayne, I sent you a PM of the mic list maybe that might help with advise.

Any advise on coaching the musicians to tune up, I'm a little intimated with classical people they seem very fragile all the while fronting a pompous exterior.

Thx, QNote, hope to get to do this a few times I love the music-!!

Hmm, would love to hear the recording, am having difficulty with that mixposure thing-a-ma-whoozit
    "Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." --Henry Van Dyke

Quote Originally Posted by musical charities View Post
    Hmm, would love to hear the recording, am having difficulty with that mixposure thing-a-ma-whoozit
    Maybe this link, Thx for the help.
    http://www2.mixposure.com/index.php?...5&band_id=3568