Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What do recording students need to know?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    I think Bill nailed it. There are people who are (perhaps) very good at tracking and mixing and even some of the other basics but ask a random person who bought PTLE at GC two years ago and is cranking out nice rock songs what "impedance" is (or similar) and to explain it and how it relates to audio engineering in a practical manner ... 8 out of 10 probably won't have any idea.

Not a knock at all, they just not happen to need to know that for what they do. Or understand electronic theory or electrical signal flow or similar like some people here do as a requirement of what they do. But if the thing is being taught in a formal academic setting like the OP describes, they should at least be taught a basic understanding/overview of some of that stuff.

Will an "engineer" need it to track and mix his buddies and make good tracks? No. Should it be taught in a formal program (at least in a cursory way)... I think so.

Look, we live in a fast-food era. Everyone with a DAW wants to record and mix and make a hit right now... they don't have time for the other nonsense.

So... is it a "Recording Class" or an "Engineering Class". Kinda two different things. There are painting classes at community college (out of curriculum, anyone can attend) and then there are art programs in curriculum. Two different things.
    We live in a fast-food era, so should the chefs of tomorrow be taking culinary classes at Wendy's?
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Robbins View Post
    We live in a fast-food era, so should the chefs of tomorrow be taking culinary classes at Wendy's?
    I think you missed my sarcasm in the comment that inspired your response. I'd explain further but my culinary class at Mickey D's starts in 15 minutes.

I'm still not sure why "audio engineering courses" are so often reduced to what is actually a subset of that (granted a relatively big one), producing, tracking and mixing music. Maybe some of those guys want to work on movie sets recording dialogue? Maybe some other things. I have no idea.
    Last edited by Lawrence; 09-30-2009 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    I think you missed my sarcasm in the comment that inspired your response. I'd explain further but my culinary class at Mickey D's starts in 15 minutes.

I'm still not sure why "audio engineering courses" are so often reduced to what is actually a subset of that (granted a relatively big one), producing, tracking and mixing music. Maybe some of those guys want to work on movie sets recording dialogue? Maybe some other things. I have no idea.
    It all starts with a source and a microphone, doesn't it? (unless you're Ethan )
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

They need to know how to produce and record a great sounding song on an analog 16-track, and only an analog 16-track. Back to the basics, and then build from there...
    Yeah - And mix it using Alison automation!
    "Death Therapy, Bob. Guaranteed cure."-Dr. Leo Marvin

-George Bartholomew

Quote Originally Posted by SafetyCopy View Post
    Yeah - And mix it using Alison automation!
    Or the 10-Finger "Alls I Had" automation - even better!
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

Or the 10-Finger "Alls I Had" automation - even better!
    If you've ever used the Alison, you know that's where it leads you!
    "Death Therapy, Bob. Guaranteed cure."-Dr. Leo Marvin

-George Bartholomew

Holy Schnikes! I go away for 3.5 hours and we're on page 3? Must've hit a hot button.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
    I could spend literally 40 hours defining what's needed for a recording course, and I bet others here would need that much time too.
    What's the best way to eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

So how about spending one minute now and then you'll only have 39 hours and 59 minutes more to go.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Quote Originally Posted by abtech View Post
    I could spend at least 1 hour explaining why recording isn't a very secure career path. This might save the schools some serious cash if they are planning on purchasing equipment for these classes . . .
    You no longer need serious cash to go into recording. It's the 21st century. About $399 will do.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske View Post
    Nyquist frequency? Analog tape?
    I was thinking more along the lines of bias, hysteresis, demagnetization, vinyl cutter head maintenance, etc.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast