Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: What do recording students need to know?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Robbins View Post
    Recording is an art form, computer programming is a science. There is a big difference in their approach - a HUGE difference.
    Disagree. To reach the upper echelons of either profession these days, I think both science and art are required.
    Lee Blaske
    Excelsior, MN
    http://www.reverbnation.com/leeblaske

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    So what would be the 21st century digital equivalent of "the weather map?"
    A good modern equivalent would be to somehow compromise DAW software installation and/or session files, and have the person being tested sort things out and get the session up and running under fire.
    Lee Blaske
    Excelsior, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske View Post
    Disagree. To reach the upper echelons of either profession these days, I think both science and art are required.
    So we throw out roughly 40 years of recorded music and the artform of recording learned therein and fire up an M-Box and show 'em how it's done?
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

Quote Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post
    One cannot teach "art", Sydney Pollack once said. To paraphrase: One can only teach craft. Craft is learning what the choices are. Art is actually making the choices.
    A gardener does not actually make a plant grow. Rather, the gardener controls conditions so that they are conducive for the plant to flourish.

In your photography class, your instructor going through the exercise of analyzing chosen published images was a case of fertilizing his/her students. In that sense, I think a person can teach art. For a lot of students, art also begins as emulation before those who can strike out in their own directions.
    Lee Blaske
    Excelsior, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Robbins View Post
    So we throw out roughly 40 years of recorded music and the artform of recording learned therein and fire up an M-Box and show 'em how it's done?
    Hey! I saw that exact phrase mounted over the door of the local Guitar Center Pro Audio room.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Hey! I saw that exact phrase mounted over the door of the local Guitar Center Pro Audio room.
    I think all of their employees have to have a similar mantra tattooed on their body somewhere...
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Short answer? Whatever the people designing the class thinks they should know. Just keep it fun so they don't get bored.
    Well, since I'll have a hand in it, that's why I was asking. To get other people's opinions. I don't have to ask to get my own opinion.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske View Post
    A good modern equivalent would be to somehow compromise DAW software installation and/or session files, and have the person being tested sort things out and get the session up and running under fire.
    You mean hand them a corrupted pref file? Oooh, that would be wicked. Or delete half of the audio files from the drive? Naw, that would be TOO real world.

"I don't know what the problem could be. The session opened fine on my computer at home!"
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Well, since I'll have a hand in it, that's why I was asking. To get other people's opinions. I don't have to ask to get my own opinion.
    Yes sir. I meant that from those various opinions whatever you deem valuable and teachable (and what may or may not fit) to put into the recommendation from that.
    Last edited by Lawrence; 10-02-2009 at 01:53 AM.

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

No one will be turning out 18 year old chefs in one hour a day for a school year.
    Yeah, we were off on a tangent. (Imagine that...)
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast