Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: 16" crash cymbal for recording...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    La verne, CA
    Posts
    1,350

    Default 16" crash cymbal for recording...

    Looking for a 16" crash for recording, any suggestions?

    I've been playing a whole bunch lately, and found a few that I like.

    Sabian, Paiste, Zildjian etc...

    I found a Zildjian that I kind of like, but it's a "cheapy ZBT" ($69.) I'm worried it might sound cheezy for recording, but it's pretty decent sounding in the store. Anyone have experience recording these?

    I also like a Sabian HHX.

    Thanks,

    -jp

  2. #2
    Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios's Avatar
    Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    5,065

    Default

    I have a 16 inch "Z" model Power Crash. Sounds terrible. Records well.

    But the real issues are the room, the player, and the mics.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

    The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)


    Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    14,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john parry View Post
    Looking for a 16" crash for recording, any suggestions?

    I've been playing a whole bunch lately, and found a few that I like.

    Sabian, Paiste, Zildjian etc...

    I found a Zildjian that I kind of like, but it's a "cheapy ZBT" ($69.) I'm worried it might sound cheezy for recording, but it's pretty decent sounding in the store. Anyone have experience recording these?

    I also like a Sabian HHX.

    Thanks,

    -jp
    Go with a K or an A
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mansfield,Ohio
    Posts
    290

    Default

    I've got a 16" A Medium Thin that records well. Most of mine are A's or A Customs.
    Michael Rogers
    (3D VIP Member)
    DeskTop Productions

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    Posts
    237

    Default

    In the Paiste brand, I like the Signature Traditionals Thin Crash. For Zildian, I like the A Zildjian Armand Series. They sound different from each other but don't over power the rest of the kit. Both are based on cymbal styles of the 1960's.
    Henry Grimmius
    Fresno, CA

  6. #6
    Gio's Avatar
    Gio is offline 3D VIP 2008, '09, '10, '11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Mid-Hudson Valley
    Posts
    2,952

    Default

    16" Zildjian K Custom Dark Crash. Not really dark sounding, just smooth, nice, and not overbearing. Records very well.
    Giovanni Fusco
    On Staff Here
    My Place

    "Real People, Real Performances."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Always had good success with the 16" A. Zildjian medium crash...but the last time I was actually the one shopping for cymbals and making those distinctions was almost 30 years ago, so conceivably a modern A.Zildjian medium crash is a different beast.

  8. #8
    Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios's Avatar
    Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    5,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Always had good success with the 16" A. Zildjian medium crash...but the last time I was actually the one shopping for cymbals and making those distinctions was almost 30 years ago, so conceivably a modern A.Zildjian medium crash is a different beast.
    Cymbals seem to me to be as individual as acoustic guitars, in that any 5 within a given model will each sound different. But like you, I haven't shopped in a long time.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

    The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)


    Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

  9. #9
    samc's Avatar
    samc is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,763

    Default

    Whatever you choose you might want to follow the general rule of thumb; Thinner, splashier cymbals tend to not record as well as heavier cymbals.

    The thinner cymbals tend to have a choppy decay and resonance regardless of mic, room and player, but if any of these things are not up to scratch, your problem will multiply.

    I generally like heavier, hand turned and hammered cymbals for recording.
    Sam Clayton

    We are who we are because of what we know.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samc View Post
    Whatever you choose you might want to follow the general rule of thumb; Thinner, splashier cymbals tend to not record as well as heavier cymbals.

    I guess I like to break rules as I find that I prefer thinner cymbals, except on ride. Go figure, I'm a rebel. Granted, I was not talking about cheap cymbals.
    Henry Grimmius
    Fresno, CA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •