Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16" crash cymbal for recording...

Default 16" crash cymbal for recording...

Looking for a 16" crash for recording, any suggestions?

I've been playing a whole bunch lately, and found a few that I like.

Sabian, Paiste, Zildjian etc...

I found a Zildjian that I kind of like, but it's a "cheapy ZBT" ($69.) I'm worried it might sound cheezy for recording, but it's pretty decent sounding in the store. Anyone have experience recording these?

I also like a Sabian HHX.

Thanks,

-jp

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

I have a 16 inch "Z" model Power Crash. Sounds terrible. Records well.

But the real issues are the room, the player, and the mics.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

Quote Originally Posted by john parry View Post
    Looking for a 16" crash for recording, any suggestions?

I've been playing a whole bunch lately, and found a few that I like.

Sabian, Paiste, Zildjian etc...

I found a Zildjian that I kind of like, but it's a "cheapy ZBT" ($69.) I'm worried it might sound cheezy for recording, but it's pretty decent sounding in the store. Anyone have experience recording these?

I also like a Sabian HHX.

Thanks,

-jp
    Go with a K or an A
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

I've got a 16" A Medium Thin that records well. Most of mine are A's or A Customs.
    Michael Rogers
    (3D VIP Member)
    DeskTop Productions

In the Paiste brand, I like the Signature Traditionals Thin Crash. For Zildian, I like the A Zildjian Armand Series. They sound different from each other but don't over power the rest of the kit. Both are based on cymbal styles of the 1960's.
    Henry Grimmius
    Fresno, CA

Gio is offline 3D VIP 2008, '09, '10, '11

16" Zildjian K Custom Dark Crash. Not really dark sounding, just smooth, nice, and not overbearing. Records very well.
    Giovanni Fusco
    On Staff Here
    My Place

"Real People, Real Performances."

Always had good success with the 16" A. Zildjian medium crash...but the last time I was actually the one shopping for cymbals and making those distinctions was almost 30 years ago, so conceivably a modern A.Zildjian medium crash is a different beast.

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Always had good success with the 16" A. Zildjian medium crash...but the last time I was actually the one shopping for cymbals and making those distinctions was almost 30 years ago, so conceivably a modern A.Zildjian medium crash is a different beast.
    Cymbals seem to me to be as individual as acoustic guitars, in that any 5 within a given model will each sound different. But like you, I haven't shopped in a long time.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

samc is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Whatever you choose you might want to follow the general rule of thumb; Thinner, splashier cymbals tend to not record as well as heavier cymbals.

The thinner cymbals tend to have a choppy decay and resonance regardless of mic, room and player, but if any of these things are not up to scratch, your problem will multiply.

I generally like heavier, hand turned and hammered cymbals for recording.
    Sam Clayton

We are who we are because of what we know.

Quote Originally Posted by samc View Post
    Whatever you choose you might want to follow the general rule of thumb; Thinner, splashier cymbals tend to not record as well as heavier cymbals.

I guess I like to break rules as I find that I prefer thinner cymbals, except on ride. Go figure, I'm a rebel. Granted, I was not talking about cheap cymbals.
    Henry Grimmius
    Fresno, CA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast