Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collaboration Recordings

Default Collaboration Recordings

Trying to figure out how to best collaborate with musicians I'll probably never meet but enjoy their musical skills.

I did this recording by sending tracks back and forth to the vocalist. Is this recording ok, sucks ie what are you guys doing to make this kind of work sound professional and am very interested to learn how you carry out a collaboration via the internet?

Thx,

Mp3
    http://iacmusic.com/play2.aspx?songI...0Page%20Single

Sounds good Jim. I would imagine that collaborations like this are very common these days. I sometimes hire musicians and singers and get hired by musicians and singers from all over the place, to do overdubs. Just like you said... send files back and forth. There are certain people I know who will give me what I need without me having to be there. I'll send a chart or give a description of what the requirements are, and vice versa.

I like being able to delegate certain things sometimes so I can be doing something else, especially when I'm overloaded. But if you want to be more involved in a collaboration, try using Skype. That way you can see and hear what's going on on the other end and have an opinion.

I liked it ,too! I would love to get that sort of thing going. I have a song I wrote for a voice like that man.
    Michael Rogers
    (3D VIP Member)
    DeskTop Productions

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Easton View Post
    I did this recording by sending tracks back and forth to the vocalist. Is this recording ok, sucks ie what are you guys doing to make this kind of work sound professional and am very interested to learn how you carry out a collaboration via the internet?
    Who is responsible for the tuning on the vocal?
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

I always tune and edit everything that gets sent to me, if it needs it.

A small little piece of peaceful Williamson County

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    That was the biggest thing that stuck out to me as well. Probably could have been treated a little more delicately.

Everything else seemed pretty good. It's a low rez MP3 or whatever so it's hard to speak to fidelity.

Wasn't especially crazy about the "string" sound. Good parts but it was just played through and not programmed out with good samples. I have a friend here in town, James Hollihan, he posts here occasionally. He is a genius at that sort of thing (seriously). I think he actually did a "fake string" arr. of this very song. FWIW: He also did a similar arr. of A Christmas Song that I believe Lynn recorded for one of my favorite artists of all time, Russ Taff.

Did you play the piano or was that sent to you? I just wonder if you could find a better sample to use. Good playing just not a killer sound as it's pretty exposed in this type of setting.

Great sax playing... bass and drums get a little busy towards the end of the tune...

Hmm wait.... I know the sound of that flute player.. I'm sure of it... was he on the GRP label?

Overall I think this has a LOT of potential. I'd be curious to hear how you got in contact with these folks and what the rates were. We are blessed here in Nashville to be able to drive over to a "friends house" and have some amazing world class players do overdubs if we have to "lego-land" the project instead of cutting it all at once.

Nicely done gets me in the Christmas mood!!!!
    Last edited by Dave Bechtel; 11-04-2009 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bechtel View Post
    That was the biggest thing that stuck out to me as well. Probably could have been treated a little more delicately.
    For a performance like this, it seems to want more of a Johnny Mathis freer sliding style than the bucketized pitch perfection of Shakira. And now Miley Cyrus. (Ouch!)
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Back in the early compuserve days we would send each other cassettes.
    Then it was working with the ISDN line.
    Now, people send MP3s.

The main problem with anything like this is that there is no producer. Cobbling together a rough draft of something is okay, but the little touches that are put into tracks by the person with the vision would be almost impossible to convey in a back and forth method.

I guess that it could be a web-cam recording situation. Tom Sailor was setting up a web-cam 'school' situation for Samplitude about the time that they severed their relationship. An email to him over at Orange Hill might give you a way to collaborate as if everyone was in the same room at the same time.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios View Post
    The main problem with anything like this is that there is no producer. Cobbling together a rough draft of something is okay, but the little touches that are put into tracks by the person with the vision would be almost impossible to convey in a back and forth method.
    It depends on the producer and how strict their vision is. I've done vocal sessions where the producer could not attend (distance plus impossible deadlines) and I produce and call for approvals of what we've done. It's very workable.

I've done the whole thing (even listening) over Skype. For approvals and even producing during the singing. It's not uncommon for producing string or brass sessions where the most important thing is execution of the "ink." And it's easy to hear problems or ask questions about parts. It's very doable and easy and cost-free.

The financial realities of the making music these days don't allow us to do what we would prefer unfortunately. If flying to the talent (or vice versa) is not possible, then making music remotely is a workable solution. And better than the alternative, if that means working with sub-standard local talent.

Plus, EVERY serious musician in Nashville, and most singers, have their own studios by now. It's true.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    The vocalist was responsible for his own track tuning as each of us took ownership as went along. That said of course it was unspoken, so Lynn was the vox tuning that bad?
    Last edited by Jim Easton; 11-04-2009 at 05:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast