Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recorded Examples for Audio Instruction

One technique a professor of mine used was to ask each student to bring in a track that they considered to be exceptionally well engineered - and then we would listen, analyze and discuss. It's a bit more free-form and self-generated, but it was a great way to hear what others were listening for.

I brought in Bonnie Raitt's "Baby of Mine" from the Disney tribute album, someone else brought in a track from Todd Rundgren's "Nearly Human" - someone else brought in a track from The The. It was all very different and it didn't feel like people were forcing things at us.
    Last edited by SafetyCopy; 11-09-2009 at 08:41 PM.
    "Death Therapy, Bob. Guaranteed cure."-Dr. Leo Marvin

-George Bartholomew

Quote Originally Posted by SafetyCopy View Post
    One technique a professor of mine used was to ask each student to bring in a track that they considered to be exceptionally well engineered - and then we would listen, analyze and discuss. It's a bit more free-form and self-generated, but it was a great way to hear what others were listening for.

I brought in Bonnie Raitt's "Baby of Mine" from the Disney tribute album, someone else brought in a track from Todd Rundgren's "Nearly Human" - someone else brought in a track from The The. It was all very different and it didn't feel like people were forcing things at us.
    Absolutely. I think showing them things with pre-selected examples and teaching them how to listen is important. Then letting them bring in their own examples and having to stand up and say what they like about each is a great way to keep them involved and let them learn.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    Absolutely. I think showing them things with pre-selected examples and teaching them how to listen is important. Then letting them bring in their own examples and having to stand up and say what they like about each is a great way to keep them involved and let them learn.
    Of course, it goes without saying that you'll be auditioning these tracks on superlative, full-range systems, right? I'm constantly amazed at 20-somethings who have NEVER heard "good" CD-rez music played through a system with enough frequency response, dynamic range and headroom to really hear into the mix... or hear how powerfully "Bolero" builds... or the anvil strikes in Holst or feel the cannon shots in the TelArc 1812... or even hear the vocal details in a Jennifer Warnes or a J.D. Souther track, from CD or vinyl.

They started with CD boomboxes, graduated to plastic 50-watt 5-way surround systems and listen mostly to iPod earbuds. Yikes.
    Last edited by hbphotoav; 11-09-2009 at 09:00 PM.
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

In a high school classroom? That goes without saying, Mr. Bill. :-0

I would certainly hope for a decent SR rig, capable of 50-15K at decent (but schoolroom neighborly) levels for a class of 10-20 students.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    In a high school classroom? That goes without saying, Mr. Bill. :-0

I would certainly hope for a decent SR rig, capable of 50-15K at decent (but schoolroom neighborly) levels for a class of 10-20 students.
    Let me know if you want to listen to my RCF 322As. Be happy for them to be used occasionally for "educational purposes." The also play very nicely with the Mackie 18" powered subs for that bottom half octave. With an analyzer and some good tuning toons we could get them sounding right pretty, in not much time.

Have trailer, will travel.
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

Icon7 Recorded examples for audio instruction

For a perfect and quality recording make use of a noise cancelling microphones, calm place and digital devices for recording.

[EDIT: Took out the advertising links. -LF]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12